venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

So I have been considering adding a djinn to my keep but I feel like I'm not sure why I would want one. I know from accounts I've read they can be very helpful, yet I am not particularly drawn to them. And maybe that in and of itself is a reason for me just not to go there.

That said, why did some of you seek out djinn, beyond the wish-granting magic possibilities? I'm curious about them from a cultural / ancient history / literary standpoint, and I would like to know what made you all curious to seek them out.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I've always felt the same. I am curious to hear responses.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Mm maybe Disney's Aladdin, or the classic 1,001 Nights stories. Maybe other more modern stories starring djinns as well (including 18+ ones : P).

It might also be that djinn in Islamic culture is considered equivalent to demon in Christian one, adding their exoticism. Or that there are established writings describing the complexity of their races/tribes, showing that they are known to humans.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
marcoank
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 17
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: djinn
Zodiac:

I had heard of djinn before getting the first djinn and I bought the book about djinns, although I found something very superficial about djinn and even something unreal and that posed as something dangerous to invoke. But I had other esoteric knowledge and found it very interesting to have access to a djinn through an object or lamp, something quite different and I wanted to know what a contact with a djinn was, without risking to do some wrong ritual. later that the idea arose that they could help me in some way, either by giving advice, by increasing my psychic powers, by helping to protect against other spirits and even to make wishes.

Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 150
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: a mage
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I was curious on this being as well, but since CH stated that they're pretty stubborn, I rather have a nice relaxed home verses one where I have to argue with a spiritual being. I am ALLLLLMost willing to try a being so to say...I'll update this if I do. I shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush

"The first step towards change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something that you do, it's what you allow." - Will Garcia

Literally so many spirits and entities now, even after I said I would not get anymore. But definitely under 200. May it stay that way :p)
MidnightMusings
neophyte
neophyte

Regholdain wrote:So I have been considering adding a djinn to my keep but I feel like I'm not sure why I would want one. I know from accounts I've read they can be very helpful, yet I am not particularly drawn to them. And maybe that in and of itself is a reason for me just not to go there.

That said, why did some of you seek out djinn, beyond the wish-granting magic possibilities? I'm curious about them from a cultural / ancient history / literary standpoint, and I would like to know what made you all curious to seek them out.
I know what you mean! I've had this too for a while, but never intended to actually have one in the family. Important is to no get a spirit or entity because of what it can do, or what it has to offer, but because you feel the pull. They pull you in so to say 1ey it's unmistakably when there's really someone wanting to be with you.

I wasn't curious about them per se, yet I ended up having one of them with me now, a hybrid though.
He's a Demon-Djinn. I found him by accident during my research about Arabic mythology and was immediately entranced. I didn't want to get him by impulse, so I closed the site again and waited for another few days. And then I decided to get him. The point was, the description of the person he was looking for fit very well with me and at last, when I asked, he wanted to come to me.

Now most of the stuff you read about Djinn has a dark touch to it. They can be moody, but that's normal for DA. Depends on which end of the DA spectrum he is. And it would be wise to train your wording, if you want to make a wish. As the Djinn, just like demons and fae, love to twist the words for their purpose ;) and just because the two of you have a bond, doesn't mean they'll hold back with you.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

MidnightMusings wrote:The point was, the description of the person he was looking for fit very well with me and at last, when I asked, he wanted to come to me.
<3

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

I actually don't remember considering Djinn seriously until I was called by a Hybrid who just happened to be half Djinn herself. The initial reason I'd went along with her as my first Spirit, aside from the calling, was because more than anything I needed someone I could rely on no matter what. That seems to be my main motivation for my Keep in general actually, but with T in particular it held more weight. Omnipotence, loyalty, compassion, a wealth of understanding, patience, consideration, and of course the ever popular wish granting...in the end, T chose me, but I welcomed her choice because of companionship and the ability to learn and grow with her. The wish granting is actually just a bonus on the back burner compared to what she actually offers me.

I'm pretty sure she's one of my oldest Spirits, not that she looks it lol, so she offers an amazing amount of guidance and patience that few others can. Despite articles describing Djinn (and vamps for that matter) as moody, she's actually quite eager to help me and she's got such a strong presence that it's easy to work with. Even though I'm near blind and deaf to all things spiritual.

I'm sorry, I kind of rambled a lot, maybe this wasn't the sort of answer you were looking for...
To summarize, my Djinn was a calling.
Actually, all my Spirits are to some extent.
I'd recommend not getting one unless you feel as if you should. Getting a Djinn just because eh, why not, seems like a lame reason in my eyes haha.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I am fascinated by Djinn and what their magical 'vibe' is, what their place in the cosmic order is, what their personalities are like etc.

But I'm risk-averse as a person (Libran/Rabbit), so I have only ordered from one conjurer, that I respect, who has found some Djinn spirits that are light natured, trustworthy or highly ethical. I now have 3 Djinn of this type: an Empress Neb Djinn, Marid Harem Djinn and a Coir Djinn (from Britain!).

I have a special kind of respect for them.

(Other spirit species / races fascinate me too.)

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Interesting, everyone, thanks for the feedback and sharing your experiences. I'm actually drawn to Dark Arts spirits in general, so I'm quite familiar with moodiness, sass, seediness, intimidation, and all the other things that come with that. Most of my DA spirits are still rather light to mid on the spectrum, but the mood swings are rather entertaining sometimes.

With CH's recent sales I've actually decided to order a few more conjurers of spirits that I've been looking at for quite some time, along with a couple which are newer interests because I think I will need their help, and one last one that I'm just really excited to get because it sounds like it will be an amazing fun little companion.

ANYWAYS, sorry for the ramble there - I haven't felt a particular calling to djinn, although my curiosity is certainly there. I guess something about them seems so alien to me, and in a way intimidating in itself. I've looked through the listings and I feel if I ever do get one it'd probably be a Nordic of some type. Yet, the timing is certainly not now.

I really do think they would make for a fascinating companion, and I just find it an interesting subject.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Djinn / Genie”