Dark Arts Spirits, Am I Ready?

Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

I'm no expert. And this is not any sort of official guide. And I hope this section is appropriate for this thread. While various chaotic happenings persuaded me that it was about darn time that I wrote this, it is not intended to target or critique any single person. Some people may think the criteria I set are too loose, or too tight, or not properly adapted for individual situations. And they're probably right. But if it opens up dialogue, and gets newbies and elders alike thinking, then I've succeeded.

Criteria for White Art Spirits.

White Art spirits are forgiving enough that a newbie can learn 'on the job', but there are still basic prerequisites, and then there are abilities which enhance interaction once learned.

Prerequisites: (These are more for the spirits benefit and security than the keepers.)
Basic manners and honest intentions.
Acknowledgement of getting a new family member being a long term committment.
Any conflict between a psychic viewpoint and a skeptical materialist viewpoint kept in check. (not conquered, not gracefully balanced, just kept in check.)
Acknowledgement that paranormal activity might happen, and a strong constitution, or acceptance of the risk of screaming like a little girl.

Ideal skills to enhance experience and interactions.
Grounding (releasing excess or negative energy through the earth)
Shielding (A sphere of white light, among other techniques)
Communication via some sort of tool (after shielding is learned)
The abilities and skills listed under Dark Arts spirits (though a gentler approach is often necessary) can also enhance communication.
It is also to be noted that a keeper of gentler and more delicate White Art spirits, may find themselves nominated by default of their keeper status, Dark Arts nature and life experience as the 'Resident Bada** and Protector'. For a tender-hearted keeper, this may prove disconcerting. Bringing in White Art protective spirits, and learning basic energetic defenses, will minimize or alleviate any trouble and help keep their group safe.

Dark Arts spirits aren't evil, but simply have the capability to choose between good and evil. We humans are Dark Arts beings. Most of us do good or at least try to, but you only have to look at the evening news to see what we're capable of. Likewise, many Dark Arts spirits when approached with respect, fairness and friendship, are capable of intense loyalty and will want only good for their keepers. But some are a handful and even with the sweet tempered ones, the capability for harm or at least moodiness remains. For newbies who dove in headfirst, please consider this list ideas and points to work on, and not a lecture.

Prerequisites for mid-to-light and reasonably well intentioned Dark Arts spirits:
All the prerequisites and all the ideal skills recommended above for White Arts spirits
The capability to observe ones thoughts and emotions and keep track of how and why they're thinking and feeling a particular way.
The ability to tell the difference between different spirits
A willingness to set firm rules and stand their ground fairly and consistently. (If someones pets or kids walk all over them, they have a problem, but an excellent opportunity to practice this skill)

Ideal skills to enhance experience and interactions: It's wise to have these under your belt or at least be semi-familiar with them before moving onto darker DA spirits.
More intricate techniques for energetic defense
The ability to communicate without needing tools.
The ability (among living beings) to handle not just difficult charges (a childs tantrum, a dog not wanting to go out) but difficult peers (or at least be gamely working on it).
Acknowledgement of different forms of aggression, (prey drive, territory, rank, etc as well as other dark tendencies) and the acceptance of it not as evil, but simply as a dangerous side to be careful of in what may be an otherwise reasonable being.
Mental and emotional stability sufficient to resist being swayed by a powerful being. Even when they're being intense. Even when they're intensely arguing that they want to do bad things to someone that you would personally love to see bad things happen to but cannot permit it.
A consistent Alpha mindset. (for natural Betas, being calm-assertive with as much consistency as possible is a good start)

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
Corina8
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dark Arts
If I could be anything, I would be...: Familiar
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

:baghead: oops....I just learned grounding, I'm not an alfa either. For me I'm learning as I go. I just barely got white spirits. When I started my first spirit was dark. But I 'm one of those people that just jump in before testing the water, which isn't for everyone lol but it's been all good so far, my DA help me and give me energy even though I don't ask for it. My incubus said that he would protect me lol and my werewolf, I'm still connecting with my other spirits. but my WA help me with cleansing rituals and spells.. :hug: but thats a good post I'm going to try some of the things you mentioned lol

It's a me thing.....wanna join!!!!
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I know what you mean.

I'm still have quite a ways to go on the handling of difficult peers, and the consistent Alpha mindset, and I'm still honing multiple other things. But I'm glad you're finding it handy. :wave:

gwae
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 16
Spelled Number: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: Shamuramat
Zodiac:

Thank you for this post!
I did start out with WA (ok I thought they were all WA oh how I have learned in the meantime) since the thought of a DA scared me silly at the time.
It never even occurred to me that I needed to ground or shield, now I do it almost automatically when I meditate.
This was very informative, definitely gives a lot of room for thought.

Corina8
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

:hug:

Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

There are several schools of thought on the keeping of dark arts spirits. If you would like to read
both sides of the debate, as to how much control is needed, see this thread started by Magnolia:

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/vie ... 29&t=14750

Great post Lamp !

Alex

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
Corina8
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Wiccan Warrior Alex wrote:There are several schools of thought on the keeping of dark arts spirits. If you would like to read
both sides of the debate, as to how much control is needed, see this thread started by Magnolia:

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/vie ... 29&t=14750

Great post Lamp !

Alex

The link definitely helped, Alex :hug:
I think for DA you do have to have a strong will, and a very positive mindset *for me anyways* I never forget what my spirits are capable of, but I still like to have fun with my DA's, like watching action movies! but I do have WA's so I have light to help me with healing with my energy.

slxix
neophyte
neophyte

Lamp, I began with dark arts very first was a Servitor Demon. He possesses many qualities I have ever looked for Family Protector, Wise, Excellent with Karmic Revenge. Power of manipulation and influence. I believe he called for another Servitor by giving me his name (well, pretty darn close to it.))

Again when searching for DA's it all comes down to personality. He is like Charizard. If he feels like going out on assignment he will. When I ask him to look after our family he goes with gusto. He was easy to bond with, and has an intense charm about himself which is seductive. He knows how to slyly get his way. What I try to do with all my spirits is allow there energy to blend with my aura.

As for meditation I have been doing this for a couple of years now which helped with communicating with all my spirits, and I also jumped right in with DA's but also have WA's with me also :)

Many Hugs!! :hug: :hug: :hug: and :grouphug:

DragonKeeper
venerated member
venerated member

This is a GREAT thread and I hope ALL newbies read it - and others - before diving into spirits too much. Many will think that just because they don't see or hear that it's ok to work with DA spirits but they WILL affect you and your life so it's best to be informed beforehand. The only thing I'd add is a list of which spirits are best to start with, in general of course, for both WA and DA. Overall, it's hard to go wrong with WA spirits but some are easier to connect with for beginners - angels, fae, dragons, unicorns. For DA spirits, werewolves are very basic and take orders well, again when diving into DA spirits it's hard to go wrong but they do need their rules/boundaries. Hopefully more members will add to this.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Peace, light & love

Phil

Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

slxix wrote:Again when searching for DA's it all comes down to personality.
Pardon for cropping your post down, but I wanted to highlight this. Personality and a good match is one of the most powerful keys in the relationship between a Keeper and Spirit.

As an aside. I don't mean this thread to distress or embarass anyone who started with a DA being. My third and fourth spirits were DA, and many people have started with DA beings with great success, but for those without psychic sensitivity, balanced will and/or luck, it does mean relying on the capability of the conjurer and the goodwill of the spirit. There are multiple capable conjurers, and plenty of good-hearted or decent-hearted DA spirits, but in each case, some aren't, hence the thread.

Anyway, I'd like to share an anecdote that... kinda cracks me up.

Recently I was called by a darker DA being. An official call, not 'this spirit has great capabilities, our energy seems to match and it seems that we'd benefit from each-other.' but a call-call, one of those heartwrenching yearnings that makes you want to climb the wall. I won the auction, thanks in part to the sellers kindness, paid, and the spirit was bound to me though I'm still waiting for the vessel's arrival.

The spirit dropped in twice, clicked beautifully, and was perfectly pleasant and cordial. He had a very strong energetic presence, 'felt' as electric as a Harpy, and I got the impression I was merely viewing the tip of the iceberg.

Mulling this over, I thought to myself, "Man, I feel like I'm riding a missile."

Soon after that thought, was "... Hold on, I saw that movie."

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a pretty good metaphor for what a keeper can get themselves into. (Yes, I know in the movie it's a bomb, not a missile. Here it is anyway.)
So there's my latest reflection and 2cents

Return to “Educational Material”