Which Gender Do You Usually Pick For Spirit?

JenNeutral
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any, really.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Jen
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: N/A

I'll admit; I tend to pick male over female (especially when it come to protection). I don't have any problems with females; I just like the sense of males If that makes any sense.

And I got curious; which gender do you tend to goes for when it comes to spirits?
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” - A.A. Milne

”If you can't stop thinking about it...buy it.” - Anonymous

"Don't be too sensitive so that you can't take a harsh word from anyone." - Harika budi
Tsugi
active contributor
active contributor
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

I generally leave it up to the spirit, unless I'm looking for a specific someone. Both male and female protectors in my keep are equally steadfast. From what I feel from them, they tend to assign different tasks to themselves in terms of protection, based on what they're best at, and not based on gender.
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

I tend to go with male 'by default' because I have so much feminine/water element energy flowing through me innately that this is a natural balance to me and feels fulfilling.
I do work with some very powerful female spirits as well and many are either ancestors, connected to me in past lives, have just come to me of their own accord OR I really resonate with and feel close to them (in the instance of historically known spirits).
Occasionally I will seek out a female of a particular race/type when I want a direct empowerment to my own feminine persona and presence or a guide in that frame of energy as well. If I am wanting multiple companions of the same race/type to work with then I am open to both as I want a solid variety of personalities backing me magically.
"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf

I have many more male-oriented spirits in my keep than female-oriented, but I tend to go for either when I get a custom conjure. I can only account for a few times that I picked a gender for a custom. I have noticed that I tend to gravitate towards male spirits who are prebound. I did recently receive a pretty hefty calling from a female fallen angel recently, and before that there was a strong calling for an ancient vampire custom conjure from Apollon Emporium who turned out to be a wonderful lady whose been waiting for me. I will say I think its less about who I'd like, and more about who I feel that I'd connect with more when it comes to gender. It doesn't really play much of a factor in my decision making in bringing someone home.
They/Them
The family: 2 dragons, 5 vampires, 2 fae, 2 elves, 2 werewolves, 1 fylgia, 1 courtwind angel, 3 ancestors, 2 phoenix, 1 hellhound, 1 volfen, 1 living high elf, 1 living unicorn shifter, 1 kitsune, 1 familiar, 1 wraith, 1 will-of-the-wisp, 1 gryphon, 1 human, 1 fallen angel, 1 merman,
Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 150
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: a mage
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I leave it up in the air for the conjure on who they think is best. Yes, some very sexy men have come through and they wanna ~ Side note, a few had no gender and still wanted to..... But I find gender just to be a term really, it's more on personality and how they vibe or protect or whatever they're helping you with.
"The first step towards change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something that you do, it's what you allow." - Will Garcia

Literally so many spirits and entities now, even after I said I would not get anymore. But definitely under 200. May it stay that way :p)
WaterSunFireRising
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 38
Your favorite spirit to work with: Happiness
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
Zodiac:

I'm the same. I'll always pick female over male just because I like the sense of females better. I'm not very in tune with my masculine energy and so I just feel like I resonate better with a feminine vibe; but that's also probably a good reason to have some male spirits around like how Vipera said, for balance. I know I should get some male spirits at some point to help me get in touch with that.

Also, I have my natal Moon in close sextile to Mars (and my Mars is conjunct Venus!) (Astrology) and so my motivation in life definitely gets a huge boost from the feminine aspects of life! So it makes sense that I want a female to support me over a male and feel more comfortable with females
(:
If you keep telling an angel that she's beautiful, eventually she's going to pay you a visit to prove you right so you never stop saying it ^-^

"It's mee!" - S
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Okay...

I'm drawn to female spirits generally. I do have a fair few male spirits too.

Sometimes I leave the gender box open; sometimes I've asked for a balance of both genders. Overall it's a fairly mixed bound spirit family, weighted strongly toward the feminine.

I seem to remember a CH class, which asked students to reflect on the spirit gender they feel drawn to and why.

My first spirit companion experience was with a female sexual spirit a very long time ago. Maybe that life-changing experience is partly why. For sexual spirits, the reason is simple. I'm a heterosexual male, so I follow my preference. (I realise some spirits not of the gender you feel attracted to can still help with sexual energy or sexuality in a non-erotic way - I have a sentient servitor from EM with a male salamander that has had that effect.)

But, apart from that, I generally seem drawn to working with female spirits.

I once did an online test that placed me bang in the middle of maleness psychologically, so I can't honestly say it's because I have surfeit of male energy. It may be in part due to the lack of strong male figures when I was growing up. I also see clues in my Western and Chinese astrological signs, the numerology of my birth date...my personality and so on. Maybe I resonate strongly with a previous life when I was a woman too...
You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

Oof, what a good question.
The majority of my commune is male/masculine. I sparingly pick female though because I like to have very strong unique females with me. I seem to often attract female ones with masculine energy too from what I noticed, with a great sense of authority and strength.
Even though I'm nonbinary and bisexual, I have found I normally don't go for shapeshifters/genderless/dual-gendered spirits or entities. So I end up picking binary males. I think it's mostly because I kind of project my sexuality and preferences onto what energies I want with me, what I feel more 'attracted' to. I like the feeling of contrast because I am more feminine expressing.. so most males naturally are masculine.
"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Ferro
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unicorn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Winged Unicorn
Zodiac:

I have nine spirits- seven females, one male and one uncertain (genderless). Four of the females were my CC choice, one is from a reading, so I knew her gender before I got her bound. The rest were left to the chance.
But I generally feel better with female spirits around me. Even my sole male spirit only apperared to me in an "animal" form, though his race is known to manifest in human form often. \:*
Last edited by Ferro on Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Your frustration is well understood, but one must be patient for all things good." - Zecora
Bartlebee
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 500
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

The majority of my keep are female, because I like females 😉. However I have been warned that only getting one gender risks creating energetic imbalances. So when I was a new keeper it was something like 8:1, these days I'm trying to go more for 3:2. But when it comes to most custom conjures I'll ask for best energy match, regardless of gender.

And yes, this means that once or twice highly erotic male entities that love sex came through for me! But that's okay. Their friendship and abilities are more important than serving as the fulfillment of my fantasies.

Return to “Spirit Keeping”