You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Harem
If I could be anything, I would be...: Idk
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Idk

PART 1) Is the name of all the entities and spirits sellers sell to you fake? I dont understand why a spirit will give out its actual name and make itself vulnerable.
Are the names the sellers give us made up.? I highly doubt a entity or djinn calls itself a human name or a basic general name we all know ... they likely use that as a cover to hide their real name.

PART 2) How will i know my djinn or entity/spirit is hearing me if they might have gave a different name from their real name?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

It's possible that one or more false / mistaken assumptions abut naming lie behind your question. Even here on planet earth in this century some human naming systems are bafflingly complex and diverse. Perhaps we should be careful of projecting simplistic expectations

I remember reading Ursula Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea in the 1970s. One of the main tropes in it was if you know a thing's true name you can control it. It's an attractive idea but that doesn't mean it applies to our bound spirits in practice.

One thing I can say is a bound spirit (or an attached one) can agree a nickname with us and will then know when we're talking to them. That's a practical thing.

In terms of theory: apparently not all spirits have just one name. Just like humans.) And, just like some humans, some names may be for different purposes or they may not want to be known by the one you'd expect them to be known by.

So some spirits may well not tell us all of their names. That doesn't mean the one we know them by is a false one or a lie.

And what about the non-social spirits that don't have names?

Finally, spirits may not actually be vulnerable if the name they use with their keeper becomes known. Spirits are said to be very good at protecting themselves.

And what is a 'true' name? Is it my last name, my middle name or my first name? If I have a christian confirmation name, is that a real one? If I have 5 names, which one is my real name?

We are known by the names our parents gave us but is that truly who we are? I read in psionics postings previously that sensitives can tune into a being's energy signature without having a name for them. Is that energy signature their true identity?

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
AlexCzernosech
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 57
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: I have a few names ;D
Zodiac:

Lewk gave a pretty good answer. I also want to throw in that in a lot of cases, the name that a spirit gives the conjurer is not a 'fake' name per se, but the closest human equivalent to their true name; I've run across a few species (angels and some varieties of dragon, for example) whose 'true' names are less names as humans know them, and closer to soul 'songs', or complex multisensory concepts that would be impossible to fully convey, so we are given the closest simple approximation to it.

46 CH Spirits/Entities; 33 non-CH Spirits/Entities, and work with various other self-bound and unbound beings.
Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

Rtm00s wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 pm PART 1) Is the name of all the entities and spirits sellers sell to you fake? I dont understand why a spirit will give out its actual name and make itself vulnerable.
Are the names the sellers give us made up.? I highly doubt a entity or djinn calls itself a human name or a basic general name we all know ... they likely use that as a cover to hide their real name.
This answer is a bit confusing but let me try to give my perspective on it anyway. Most sellers will use a Letter, and a lot of reputable ones won't provide the name to anyone except the person who has purchased the binding. Generally speaking, I try to avoid sellers who give out the full name publicly since names have power. Whether a Seller is using a fake name would be something you'd have to ask them directly.
Rtm00s wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 pm PART 2) How will i know my djinn or entity/spirit is hearing me if they might have gave a different name from their real name?
That said, a Being can have many names and titles and only tell the seller one of them. Whether or not you have the beings true name wouldn't matter much because they know you know them by a specific name and they'd come to you whether or not you addressed them by another.

"Do what you can, when you can, and avoid the unnecessary."
- Muse
Barcarana
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Muse wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:27 pm
That said, a Being can have many names and titles and only tell the seller one of them. Whether or not you have the beings true name wouldn't matter much because they know you know them by a specific name and they'd come to you whether or not you addressed them by another.
I like that approach as well - with some beeings I think it's like having different phone numbers.

They all reach the same person, just on a different line ๐Ÿ˜‰

In Hinduism one goddess can have many names - there are mantras and hymns including sometimes one, sometimes two and sometimes different names.

They all reach the same goddess - just an different aspect of her.

The kind one, the wrathfull one, the golden colored one and so on...

As long as you know whom the name belongs to and the other party knows what you expect when you call the name your fine ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Yes, I m sure names, words, phrases and sounds can have power. And sometimes a name is just a name so that you can connect and ask for help, guidance, power or whatever ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Maybe I m completely wrong ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

"There is always more than one truth...
I could say that your just a pile of dust and liquid and that would be true.
I also could say that you are something inside your head that goes away once your dead.
This is also true."

Wings-Bromeliad, by Terry Prattchett
Shifa
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
If I could be anything, I would be...: Espada
My magical/paranormal name...: Despair Kitten

Isnโ€™t it also possible that the original name can be hard to pronounce ... what ends up coming to us can be an approximation or something for the human tongue to handle?
But in the end you and your companion entity can agree on nicknames and endearments or whatever.

I see. So this is it. It lies here within this palm. The heart.
Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

Shifa wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:56 am Isnโ€™t it also possible that the original name can be hard to pronounce ... what ends up coming to us can be an approximation or something for the human tongue to handle?
But in the end you and your companion entity can agree on nicknames and endearments or whatever.
You make an excellent point Shifa, and this brings to light something that was told to me awhile ago, and that's that with certain races, they'll have two names; One that is almost impossible in another race's tongue (human or otherwise) unless that race has close cultural, locational, and energetic ties to the race in question and one (or several) that can be pronounced by nearly any race. This was told to me by an angel via dream journeying, though whether this was correct for him, all angels, or just any being on a different wavelength than us - I can't say for sure. Dream Journeys can hold lots of information but the translation of that information can occasionally be spotty on the minute details. In any case, this information did help me to accept names in regards to Spirit Work and Listing Information. It is also why one of my house rules is to remain consistent with whatever name they choose to introduce themselves as, so I don't have to go through a list of five, ten, or thirty names for my occasional bonding rituals, haha.

"Do what you can, when you can, and avoid the unnecessary."
- Muse
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Muse wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 am [...] It is also why one of my house rules is to remain consistent with whatever name they choose to introduce themselves as, so I don't have to go through a list of five, ten, or thirty names for my occasional bonding rituals, haha.
;*D

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 3

I had a dream where an ancestor was telling me the name I have for her is her name in spirit, not the name she had when she was alive. For what that's worth.

Nienna
active contributor
active contributor
My magical/paranormal name...: Nienna

I find this question very simple to answer: spirits can also choose their own name.

Example: My fallen angel spirit has chose his name because he didn't want to be part of the angel system anymore. And he wanted a name of his own.

In the end, there is no real or fake name, there are just names that spirits/entities choose to take or not. If sellers can choose "fake names" it would be in a scam shop where there's nothing inside vessels.
And even so, spirits can give it or not , it's their choice.

Return to โ€œSpirit Keepingโ€