Was 'Merlin' a real person or from a story?

nina
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Not sure yet
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Angelika

darkwing dook wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 pm
nina wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:48 pm
Lewk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 pm
Maybe, like Atlantis, if Merlin didn't actually exist at any point in history that doesn't invalidate the strength of their cultural or spiritual resonance.
Do you mean to say atlantis didnt exist?
It exists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis_Paradise_Island
: p
My house is also named Atlantis ^^

Off to a rollercoaster ride of a lifetime 1h
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

nina wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:50 pm
Maybe, like Atlantis, if Merlin didn't actually exist at any point in history that doesn't invalidate the strength of their cultural or spiritual resonance.
It exists:
I admit I don't know for sure what the Atlantis spoken of in historical accounts really was.

First of all, I have practiced Atlantean magic, which was beautiful, and respect its 'spiritual' resonance and any spirits who hail from Atlantis. But I struggle with the very scant historical record.

I just think Atlantis has a very strong resonance 'spiritually' and that may have grown on the invisible (non-physical) planes as people's connection with the narrative has grown. But it's far from clear that it existed on our Earth physically and historically in anything like the form that the fully fledged, modern, new age trope of Atlantis has grown into.

From memory, Plato is the only person who told the tale of Atlantis...he told of what an earlier Greek historian / researcher (Solon?) said he'd learned from speaking with Egyptian priests at the library in Alexandria - and looking at their books - well before it burned down.

The bare bones of what Plato described was at best a hearsay account of what Egyptian books might have said...if Solon had understood the translation well enough.

And those Egyptian books will have been written at least centuries, or possibly thousands of years, after Atlantis was thought to have existed.

There's lots of scope for errors to creep in to records written long after the event, based on centuries or millennia of people remembering the history and passing it on orally. The tale may have changed a bit in the telling over many generations.

And the original account from Plato is really - to me - nothing like what spiritual occultists in the last 100 years or so, such as the British Atlantean society, for example, believe.

I think most of what many of us 'New Agers' (for want of a better label) believe about Atlantis comes from clairvoyants and occultists and psychics, who have been tuning into information that's in the ethers. So it makes sense to me that Atlantis is a strong presence on the inner planes

Maybe some of that makes sense?

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:29 pm
It does to me. To me, there's something Real that was or is Atlantis, but at the same time it's not something that we can call historical on the given record. I'm comfortable with both those things being true.

nina
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Not sure yet
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: Angelika

Lewk wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:29 pm
nina wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:50 pm
It exists:
I admit I don't know for sure what the Atlantis spoken of in historical accounts really was.

First of all, I have practiced Atlantean magic, which was beautiful, and respect its 'spiritual' resonance and any spirits who hail from Atlantis. But I struggle with the very scant historical record.

I just think Atlantis has a very strong resonance 'spiritually' and that may have grown on the invisible (non-physical) planes as people's connection with the narrative has grown. But it's far from clear that it existed on our Earth physically and historically in anything like the form that the fully fledged, modern, new age trope of Atlantis has grown into.

From memory, Plato is the only person who told the tale of Atlantis...he told of what an earlier Greek historian / researcher (Solon?) said he'd learned from speaking with Egyptian priests at the library in Alexandria - and looking at their books - well before it burned down.

The bare bones of what Plato described was at best a hearsay account of what Egyptian books might have said...if Solon had understood the translation well enough.

And those Egyptian books will have been written at least centuries, or possibly thousands of years, after Atlantis was thought to have existed.

There's lots of scope for errors to creep in to records written long after the event, based on centuries or millennia of people remembering the history and passing it on orally. The tale may have changed a bit in the telling over many generations.

And the original account from Plato is really - to me - nothing like what spiritual occultists in the last 100 years or so, such as the British Atlantean society, for example, believe.

I think most of what many of us 'New Agers' (for want of a better label) believe about Atlantis comes from clairvoyants and occultists and psychics, who have been tuning into information that's in the ethers. So it makes sense to me that Atlantis is a strong presence on the inner planes

Thankyou Lewk for your detailed explanation. It is strange that there is no credible record that exists today to prove that Atlantis really existed while in history we study about things like dinosaurs that had existed a million years ago and civilizations that had existed long before as there were records existing in terms of fozzils and other things uncovered through archeological excavations. Anything that ever existed on earth should have some proof through archealogical records. But nothing ever has come up for Atlantis. Like one post mentioned before it may have been in a parallel earth (?)

Off to a rollercoaster ride of a lifetime 1h

Return to “Human”