Maiolica
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 5
Zodiac:

Has anybody here tried to talk to the Greek gods in Ancient Greek? Or to the Norse gods in Old Norse?

As someone who is interested in linguistics, the thought of being able to hear what now-extinct languages actually sounded like is really fascinating.
If I ever get one of the Greek Immortals, honestly my most pressing question is going to be about the pronunciation of "ζ".

Also, do Immortals even have a native language?
Just thinking about it makes my head hurt. :wild:

Merch
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Well I know the first part of the Havmal ( sorry I know I mangled that spelling) in Icelandic which is suppose to be close to Old Norse. I love saying it out loud in that language. It has the most Amazing cadence to it. It is pretty awesome. I am not a follower of the Norse gods, but my husband is. That and the Egyptian gods.

I tried to learn a poem in Irish Gaelic once, I could not get my lips or my mouth for form the words AT all. But I Think if any of the Celtic gods were listening they were laughing hysterically.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I just ran across this language learning BONANZA today! It's from the University of Texas and looks like a fantastic starting point for those wanting to teach themselves early Indo-European languages. <3)

https://lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol

Of particular note, I think, to this community are the Old Irish, Old English (which I've taken and is both easier and harder than you'd think, lol,) Classical Greek (but also New Testament koine Greek if that's your bag,) Hittite, Old Irish, Latin, Old Norse, and Sanskrit.

For you aligists out there with a practical focus, go nuts! B) 8.)

ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

2 years ago, I though myself koine greek from scratch. I knew the New Testament in English and Hungarian.
Knowing the original language is so much better. Guess what, today I order my First Greek Goddess Star Maiden. It's hard to find good experienced information on her though.

atlanticamethyst7
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 33
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Goddess Athena
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal

Maiolica wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11 am Has anybody here tried to talk to the Greek gods in Ancient Greek? Or to the Norse gods in Old Norse?

As someone who is interested in linguistics, the thought of being able to hear what now-extinct languages actually sounded like is really fascinating.
If I ever get one of the Greek Immortals, honestly my most pressing question is going to be about the pronunciation of "ζ".

Also, do Immortals even have a native language?
Just thinking about it makes my head hurt. :wild:
I have attempted to communicate in ancient Chinese language with one particular Chinese immortal but I did not realize any subtle differences in the connection, than if I were to communicate in modern Chinese or English. I would think factors such as lifestyle, intention to connect & personality chemistry plays an important part as well but this is just me. I hope you managed to gain more cookie points with the Norse Gods if you tried!!

+++++++++++AA++++++++++++
Take Flight; Thy Wings of Fancy & Might
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

I honor and work with couple of Finnish gods and naturally I use my native language Finnish when I speak to them. I don't really think it matters what language I use, they'd understand me equally well if I used English to communicate with them.

Hawke
new here
new here

So I have a slightly different experience than me talking in an ancient language - I speak to them in english and HEAR them in english as well (when I can lol), even though it's not my native language. BUT I have had spirits talk to ME in languages that I do not understand. Two that come to mind were 1) Latin, and that was even before I discovered spirit keeping. Honestly I don't even know who it was, I was meditating and sort of just asked a question, and suddenly there is an answer but I don't understand the words. Took me a while of googling to find out it's latin.

2) was not that long ago and it came from a Norse Immortal, and it was just one word but very clear. If I managed to google translate it correctly then it was in Old English, and it pertained to the things that I was working on at the time that this god was helping me with.

So my guess is that your brain naturally translates everything it hears based on it's meaning into a language that you understand, unless the source sends it out with the intention of having you hear it in the "ancient" form.

Return to “Immortals”