House rules help?

EvenAntonio
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male

Hello. This is my first post. I've very new to this, and I want to get off to a good start. This topic probably comes up often, but if this forum has a search function, I couldn't find it.

I ordered a Marin Djinn (described as grey) from Mystic Morning Treasures. I read good things about the seller, and she has been good about answering questions specific to my spirit, but I don't want to pester her too much with general questions (she's already answered 5 or 6 emails).

I've read a bit about "house rules" and I'd like to know more. If it matters, I share a home with two family members, one of whom would probably be freaked out by the notion of spirit-keeping, so having them unaware of a spirit's presence (for the time-being anyway) would be desirable. I have no intentions of making revenge wishes or anything else malicious, and since the described nature is

1) what are good general house rules?

2) are their any Djinn-specific house rules I should use?

3) do any specific house rules seem to help or hinder bonding with a spirit?

4) is there a certain way to establish house rules? I mean, do I just think them, say them aloud, write them out. I guess what I'm asking is "how do I make them 'official?'"

5) should this be done immediately after invocation?

6) can house rules be modified, removed, or added at any time?

7) do you have others house rules related suggestions that I haven't asked about?

Thank you for any help.

Written replies are appreciated, but links to good resources are also appreciated. (I don't know which resources out there are good)

EvenAntonio
new here
new here

I see part of my message was accidentally deleted or something.... a the end of the third paragraph, I meant to write "I have no intentions of making revenge wishes or anything else malicious, and since the described nature is grey, I want to keep potentially darker activity in check."

newspirit
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Hi there,

I know of a few places that have specific house rules that I think would be helpful to you.

In this first thread there is a comment from Ash who specializes in DA spirits. His comment should be pretty helpful I think.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59253&p=651149&hili ... ds#p651149

I also know of this poster for sell in the shop that lists a few other good house rules:

https://shop.creepyhollows.com/HOUSE-RU ... ITIES.html

You could also add a few personal house rules. For example, if you don't want your spirits manifesting to your housemates you could add a rule like "Do not make yourself known to [housemate name] as they may be fearful of you" or something to that effect.

Some of my personal rules include:

1) Don't manifest to my mom
2) Be cordial with other members of the keep
3) Communicate with me in any way that'll get my attention
Etc...

I can't say for certain if any specific house rules help with bonding, as I am still in the bonding process with my spirits. As for establishing house rules, what I've done is write them down in a Word document on my computer, read them to my spirits, and after I was done I thanked them for listening. I made sure to call my spirit's names to get their attention beforehand. There is also a chance that your spirits will be listening to you as you write them, but I would still read it to them once you're done, just to be sure.

I would work on your house rules before your spirits arrives so that you can establish them on the day they arrive, as part of welcoming them. I don't think it matters where you keep them, as long as you make sure they've heard what they are. However, I think it would be helpful to keep a copy of them somewhere for yourself to remember, in case you want to easily edit or add a rule. I do have a physical copy of mine, but it would work just as well to keep it on your computer if you have one. Or you could hide a copy in a safe place.

For Djinn specific house rules I don't have much of an answer, as I do not have a Djinn myself. However, if I did have a Djinn, I might add rules like:

1) Do not grant my wish unless I specifically ask you using your name (so like, don't grant my wish if I offhandedly say something like "I wish it wasn't so hot in here")
2) Do not try and twist my words when I make a wish to get a different effect

It might also be good to look into wish-granting when it comes to Djinn. One post in particular that might help you is this one, specifically the comment that Lewk made:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=82224

I hope this was all helpful. If you need more specific answers I'm sure there's some here on the forum. I just recently discovered where the search function is. If you go up to "Quick Links" on the top left, in the same bar as your profile picture, you can click on that and "Search" will be in the drop-down menu. It's a very advanced search function too, I quite like it. Sorry for rambling, oops! I hope you have a good day.

Edit: Ah! I forgot to add - I'm sure CH support (https://shop.creepyhollows.com/support/tickets/contact/) would be willing to help with any further questions regarding house rules (or anything, really). I have contacted them in the past and they were quite helpful! And if your seller is good I'm sure they would be willing to help as well. If they end up being kinda snappy about it, don't assume you did anything wrong. There are places like this forum that are willing to help out at any time.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Answers in italics below.
EvenAntonio wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm [...]
I've read a bit about "house rules" and I'd like to know more. [...]

1) what are good general house rules?

This is my go-to thread.
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=42051

If you compare the house rules list in that thread with the ones in the Shop poster, you'll see there's one rule that doesn't appear in both. That's the 'Keep watch on my property' one, which is a very good one to have.

And see this, which is a spell binding of the house rules that can be amended.

https://shop.creepyhollows.com/SPIRIT-K ... RULES.html

2) are their any Djinn-specific house rules I should use?

No, not according to CH.

But if your grey/dark arts spirits are form other conjurers, stick to whatever care recommendations or interaction protocols that the conjurer/seller provides.[/i]

3) do any specific house rules seem to help or hinder bonding with a spirit?

No. Tasking is said to help improve a bond. House rules are a form of tasking.

4) is there a certain way to establish house rules? I mean, do I just think them, say them aloud, write them out. I guess what I'm asking is "how do I make them 'official?'"

You can write them out, then call your spirits round you and tell them about it. Some keepers read them out in full to start with too, then post then somewhere appropriate.

But see also the Shop binding of the house rules that I gave a link to above.

5) should this be done immediately after invocation?

'Invocation?'. See previous answer.

6) can house rules be modified, removed, or added at any time?

Yes. See also answers above and info re the House Rules binding item. I would not recommend leaving out any of the core rules that ASH has recommended.

7) do you have others house rules related suggestions that I haven't asked about?

Read carefully what ASH says on the Shop house rules binding item page. We need to apply consequences, if the house rules are broken. However, with spirits from reliable, expert conjurers, especially custom conjures from those seller, it's not often a problem.

Apart from that, there's a spell in ASH's Great Dark Arts Guidance book to temporarily block a spirit. This can be used as consequence,as well as the dark arts secrets in the CH Encyclopedia pages for many types of DA spirit listed there.

Thank you for any help.

You're welcome.

Written replies are appreciated, but links to good resources are also appreciated. (I don't know which resources out there are good)

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

PS It's probably not a good idea to continually change the rules.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
EvenAntonio
new here
new here

I thought I responded to this a couple days ago, but maybe I only hit the "preview" button and then failed to submit it.

Whatever the case, thank you newspirit and Lewk. Your words and links are just the kind of stuff I was hoping for. The stuff about wish-making was a nice bonus. Based on other people's lists/suggestions, I came up with a page and half of house rules. Too many really, but I thought it was maybe better to start with too much and narrow down than miss something important. I asked the conjurer/seller about this too (after asking here) and she said she doesn't do house rules at all, but that I could if I wanted. Her being a skilled, experienced conjurer, whereas I can't recall having a single paranormal experience in my life, she might have a slight :@ advantage over me when it comes to interacting with spirits.

Lewk, I agree that changing rules a lot probably wouldn't be good. I asked about it because, due to my inexperience, I figured I may miss something at first and have to modify it.

newspirit, thank you also for revealing the secret location of the website's search function.

Thyr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 34
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demonic
Zodiac:

EvenAntonio wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:21 am I asked the conjurer/seller about this too (after asking here) and she said she doesn't do house rules at all, but that I could if I wanted.
That seems very strange to me. With all magical practices house rules make sense, as you can always have unbounds lurking around, playing pranks on you etc. Those are a basic Dos and Don'ts for your home.
How is she vetting without basic rules? Is she naming them differently? :@

¤ ωε nεvεr ωαlk αlonε ¤
newspirit
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 4
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

No worries for a late response, glad I could be of help :8)

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”