Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

Regholdain wrote:Electric Essential Oil Diffuser (this is in place of incense due to a family member in the house being asthmatic; I will use actual incense for rituals as a representative of the air element when necessary, but that's rare)
As someone with Asthma, I appreciate this idea, good sir! I may wind up turning to this in the future.

"Do what you can, when you can, and avoid the unnecessary."
- Muse
Gothicpumpkinfairy
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Ah, that sounds really interesting. I was hoping to do an altar for my Spirits, that I get bound to me. My first one, which is still an unbound at the moment, has encouraged me to do so. I have an electric diffuser but at the moment it is packed away. I love my incense though. My mother will ask me if I am burning anything though. Which I will reply with yes mama, its just to cover the smell of the cat litter. Which she will say okay....

I relax when I do incense. It somehow calms me a bit more, like it just boosts my unbound's calming energy, or it boosts my own calming energy that seems stored for when I really need it. I don't know. But I love all the ideas that y'all have for each of your altars. Don't worry though I will not use any of them with out permission. As I know that each altar is different just as each persons journey is. Right now, I am working on Rules.

Allow your dreams to take flight, like a bat in the night...or allow your dreams to sprint in the wind like a cat after a play thing/food. :3....But do not allow them to die X..X

Spirits: E(Hellhound), P(4 Elements Dragon), S(Were-Snow Tiger)
laalbieglna
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 425
Spelled Number: 125
Your favorite spirit to work with: My Own Companions
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
Zodiac:

I also use an electric diffuser from time to time. It's good when you have oils that are aligned with a being or purpose rather than incense also. When my babies were new and I couldn't have smoke in the house, I would asperge (throw blessed water around with a bunch of herbs), or use a branch of an air-aligned herb or twigs with ribbons tied to them to represent Air during rituals. Let's see... if you have reasons why you can't burn incense at any point, I have found my companions enjoy scented candles quite a lot, the tiny votive ones are inexpensive and not as overpowering as the larger ones. For companion offerings and gemstone vessels I purchased about two dozen glass "fruit and nut" bowl off of Amazon for probably about $1-2 apiece. It is super handy because I can put vessels in them according to general type and tuck them away in a drawer under the altar, then I can switch out offerings to any number of beings in the remaining bowls. It doesn't have to be candles and incense, it can be any number of items from their correspondences and then you can place the vessel in or near it as well, or simply tell them that you dedicate this offering to them and leave it out for a day or so. After two and a half decades, I'm not afraid to say that most of my ritual and offering work is done at my kitchen table or on the top of my stove (hearth, linked to Ancestors, very important!), even though I have multiple dedicated altars throughout my home ... that's my stream of consciousness posted on a whim first thing this morning after skimming this thread, maybe it'll be helpful to someone eventually. I guess my point in bothering to type this is that magick and personal practice are FLUID, in most cases (but especially when you're working within a family-style relationship that is supposed to be permanent, such as with spirit companions) you can usually work with what you have and there are multiple options for almost everything. You learn the correspondences and traditional ways, think them through, then apply them to your own life and particular circumstances in the best, most necessary, and most resonant way possible based on the given time.

Shadow Stitches
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 8
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kelpie

I have temporary indoor & outdoor altar spaces that I use until I can get something more permanent set up. I would love to have an idividual altar space for each & every one of my spirits, but I have too many spirits & not enough space for that.

Campamocha
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 8
Zodiac:

I haven't set up my altar much at all yet, aside from a black bookshelf/table-like space with a candle. Most of my spirits and spelled items are in one of two wooden boxes. The first box I've been adding to for years and when you open it, it expands into several little shelves. I just keep rocks, herbs, little spells, bones, etc in there. Then I have a square cigar box that I really like. It's very cozy and smells wonderful inside. that's where all of my spirited items are, in pouches if they're rocks/easy to lose. It's filled with gemstones, some of them given to a specific spirit and some of them just general offerings. I also give twigs and leaves... things that they seem to be drawn to. Both boxes sit by the altar area. I'm pretty poor and have always lived in a similar way to the way I keep that box- everyone has their own things but shares, respects each other, etc. I treat them the way I treat my human family and friends. That's just my instinct. They seem to be content with their box for now :8)
I think sometimes people get nervous about things like that because they assign living, earthbound human characteristics to their spirits (thinking an offering might not be good enough, or that your spirits are mad because you haven't had time for them, etc). But at least as far as mine go, they appreciate any effort I make and honestly aren't picky at all to my knowledge. This could probably differ from spirit family to spirit family, I only know my own.

I do plan on making a general but more established altar for working with them and spells. I'm excited to set it up a bit more when I have time

Syrah
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: ET
If I could be anything, I would be...: Galactic Being

Bumping this to read later. I have the exact question in the OP.

Shran/Shrek Fan since 2001.

10 partners in crime, 6 healers, 1 businessman & 1 wise teacher.

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” — The Little Prince.
Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

Syrah wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm Bumping this to read later. I have the exact question in the OP.
You're giving me nostalgia by taking me back to my beginniner days with all these necro-posts Syrah. ;D

"Do what you can, when you can, and avoid the unnecessary."
- Muse
Syrah
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: ET
If I could be anything, I would be...: Galactic Being

Muse wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 pm
Syrah wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm Bumping this to read later. I have the exact question in the OP.
You're giving me nostalgia by taking me back to my beginniner days with all these necro-posts Syrah. ;D
A walk down the [meta] memory lane never hurts anyone:D

Shran/Shrek Fan since 2001.

10 partners in crime, 6 healers, 1 businessman & 1 wise teacher.

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” — The Little Prince.

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”