Build a meditation practice. It matters.

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
chemtrailchild
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 200
If I could be anything, I would be...: less of a mess
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Arsinée
Zodiac:

Vipera aspis atra wrote:On average I meditate for up to 3 hours every day, sometimes I set days aside where I will meditate up to 10 hours. Meditation is a gateway through which several other in depth metaphysical activities can be powerfully conducted (branching off into remote viewing, astral projection, seeing into the past or future, exploring within yourself, etc.) And I have found after doing that for so long it seriously enhanced my connection to the other realms, other consciousnesses which was involved in amplifying my ability to practice telepathy, and perceive of so much other phenomena while I am going about my days.

It is extremely important to be able to quiet and relax your mind if you want to align this way and make any progress at all. In time it should evolve to being capable of a quasi-meditative state just by nature.

All of this just to say I agree, and it's a good reminder to everyone.
What would you say your favorite and most effective meditation technique is?
Did you have struggles when learning how to meditate? If so, what kind, and what did you find best helped in working through those blocks?

"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure." —Albert Bandura

Some Spirits in My Keep:
Nymphos, Psy & Sang Vamps, Faeries, Human spirits, High Elf, Silver Dragon, Djinn, Pegasus, Unicorn, Gargoyles, Gregori, Volkh, Sandman, Bannik, Harpy, Lynx, Baba Yaga, Angels, hellhound, Gaki, Ayla, Azille, Fox, Sprites, Nixie, Ielle, Arkan Sonney's, Pasirili, Limcorus, Narinat, Sand Walker, Masheba, Tampi, Kinnara, Valecose..(all from CH)
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Aryan wrote:hi, how will it be like ..i mean will it be live or hows it? can i get the link to get on to that course?
The magickal adept course is already begun. I’m sure the registration is closed. But the site is magick.me, and there’s a paid membership that allows access to self-directed studies and other classes that you can take at your own pace. Visit that site, listen to his podcasts, and see if a membership would suit your needs and budget. Or get on the mailing list to be alerted to future offerings of the Magickal Adept class, if he offers it again. (This is the first time it’s been offered.)

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

Muse wrote: I can barely manage seven minutes (my current longest time) without feeling restless and the need to go and do something - anything - else. Or possibly falling asleep. Plus, sometimes muscles start getting stiff and that's never fun. How on earth do you manage to be so still for so long?? D:
There are different forms of meditation, one is lighter and one is much deeper. I'll address both as best as possible because they are equally related to the process of being capable of successful meditation altogether.
When I was training myself to be able to go into deep meditation, it was (and still is, when I want to push boundaries) often in extremely comfortable positions where I wouldn't fear possibly falling asleep or losing track of time.
I've seen a lot of people advise against this in the practice but the reality as far as I'm concerned is that their suggestions are more for the lighter form of meditation, which can be all an adept needs to go into further depth as they're already disciplined. When you're still training yourself and adapting to this kind of thing however, I think it is more of a challenge to progress by.

There is a point, in a deeply relaxed position where you will move between alpha-theta state which is a combination of the state known for light meditation and the state known for deep meditation, going into that place just before sleep.
The next trick is to be capable of prolonging that particular state with a level of lucidity or beta thinking (as in it is not your unconscious dominating, it is your conscious awareness still dominating the state). A beta-alpha fusion (holding onto its seamless transition), input to the theta state, essentially. But don't let this complicated explanation deter you; I'd otherwise describe it as the Crocodile effect.

A crocodile is known to spend time betwixt, below and above water where they can be simultaneously. When this happens, you eventually get to feeling the sensation of being 'out of body' physically, so even if you were to get stiff or uncomfortable you begin to barely notice it and it fades away as an afterthought while you are pulled within this level of consciousness. When the physical body can no longer distract you, not only are you capable of more successful states of deep consciousness but you can also begin to align with your spirit and etheric body where you can have more obvious interactions with beings around you who are also in spirit/etheric.

chemtrailchild wrote:
What would you say your favorite and most effective meditation technique is?
Did you have struggles when learning how to meditate? If so, what kind, and what did you find best helped in working through those blocks?
Furthering what I responded above to Muse, when I am moving into this state I'm not always aware of the techniques I am applying to get there anymore, as it is so much easier for me now and this second-level awareness is a constant. I'm basically meditating any time I am very focused, like as we speak and I am typing this the voices of the spirits and my intuition etc are much 'louder'. It can come spontaneously when you've aligned with this state as well, but I think when our mind is scattered in different directions it will not be as clear. Holding onto a down to earth and very 'present' state of being can be important to work with, rather than stuck in what has been or what will be in any given moment.

Something I know for sure is that there are techniques I've applied to lucid dreaming which have dually helped with holding focus in meditation.
If you have a specific subject you want to meditate on you might formulate a question in your mind and repeat it almost as a mantra to yourself as you move into the deeper state of consciousness. The more you let go, while retaining that conscious tether of focus, you find yourself accessing an awareness to unfiltered intuitive knowing (which can be impacted by spirits/entities) as well as directly opening up to the voices and visions from those outside forces who would seek to engage you. I think that is the easiest technique I can suggest and it almost sounds too simple, and you could fail many times with it, but keep trying and see what happens.

I have had definite struggles in the past with meditation because I was always trying to do it a certain stereotypical way (ie. sit straight rather than lay). Now those things don't give me trouble at all anymore because I've crossed the problem-threshold. However the rigid focus on meditating itself and getting into a meditative state is a problem. What I mean by that is, attempting to go into it while focused on how you're attempting to go into it or overall, trying too hard to obtain a certain awareness. You need to be able to ease yourself into it and to maintain a genuine openness. This is not to say you cannot go in with an objective, as I detailed above it may be helpful to focus on a particular question or subject but you have to do that with detachment. You shouldn't do it expecting or gunning for answers, or falling into the right state of mind, you should just do it 'as a meditation'.
I think one place where people have trouble then is doing things mentally instead of as a meditation. There is a very subtle distinction here and once you find it, it's like a key unlocking the gate to rapid progress.

For instance, if you wish to obtain feedback in meditative state on how to increase your wealth, you might focus on the mantra 'I seek abundance', over and over, and the point is you're not having a 'thought' which can then veer into a whole string of thoughts to distract you, you're making a statement and your sole focus is on the statement hence you are equally shut off from distraction but open to any/all feedback.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense. It's not easy to teach as you just have to 'get there' mentally. Learning to detach is what I believe helped me a lot through the block of my mind getting restless. For that matter this whole process of becoming successful in meditation significantly helped me with my manic states as a manic depressive person because part of what I experience in mania is restless thinking, rapid thoughts that are almost painful if they go on too long. I'm really grateful for that added bonus.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Dragona
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 75
Spelled Number: 44
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: goddess

Some people I have talked to only think that meditating is just sitting there, still, quiet, and having your mind perfectly clear. That definitely does not have to be the case.

There are many different types/methods of meditation so trying them out to see what suits a person can be really good. Transcendental meditation is the one where you have the mind perfectly clear and this form of meditation isn't necessary and not many can do this kind of meditation either.

For those who can't sit still, there are walking meditations. Yoga can be good for mind and body. But, something to keep in mind is just like many other things, meditation may take quite a bit of time to feel like it is really having a beneficial effect on you.

warp traveler
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: my sprit sisters
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human
My magical/paranormal name...: Warp traveler
Zodiac:

The trik iss to never give up.

Do i still consider myself a novice, i have been medetating at nighty for near 3 to 4 years now, before slepp. Not only this helps relax and sleep, i found out that this always one to have more dreams and dreams control.

Also to many, the only way one an meditate is lying donw on the bed. Back pain or back probelms are terribel -_-.

I was raise Catholic, but I am human first and my religion/ philosophy's respect and dignity.

The Emperor Protects

The road is long.... take steps on at a time.... and you will travel to your destination in peace.

Mantra to ANGER CONTROL... Om Shante prashante sarve krodho pasha mani Swaha
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Still working on the asana and pranayama, which is intended to be a daily thing for forever, for the magick adept course I’m taking. Good GRIEF, is it challenging to get my physical self acclimated!

This is part of the discipline, though. If you don’t build mental and physical discipline, forget about advancing in magick. So I push on. I’m adjusting my practice sessions to something I can actually achieve, and will dial it up a notch once I master the less-challenging version of what I’m trying to do. I’m not competing with anyone but the former version of myself. If someone’s ahead of me, in one or both of these things, I applaud them, because this is freakin’ WORK. You seriously have to EARN your progress!

BUT. There are known mental and physical benefits to doing these poses and techniques that will pay off in multiple aspects of life, INCLUDING our ability to do magick. Seriously, science has studied this and has said these things work.

So I will sing the praises of establishing a meditation practice. Start today. Heck, start yesterday! :)

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Muse wrote:
Vipera aspis atra wrote:On average I meditate for up to 3 hours every day, sometimes I set days aside where I will meditate up to 10 hours.
I can barely manage seven minutes (my current longest time) without feeling restless and the need to go and do something - anything - else. Or possibly falling asleep. Plus, sometimes muscles start getting stiff and that's never fun. How on earth do you manage to be so still for so long?? D:
Some very good advice above. I'm impressed by Vipera.

I've probably never gone above 9 hours sitting meditation in one day myself. Once did an all night meditation, totally focused/there for a full 7-8 hours. But that was long ago.

Falling asleep is common. So is aching limbs. So is restlessness.

Different meditations and different teachers may stress different approaches.

Focus

For example, a Shaolin kung fu grandmaster stresses short periods of quality meditation - that doing 5 minutes with clear focus is better than 20 minutes sleepy. That was with a form of zen meditation. One way to achieve this is to rest /power nap beforehand so you're alert. And with that it can be done standing in horse stance (less likely to fall asleep that way too.)

Aches

With aching limbs, you can 'be with' the ache or pain. Actively loving the pain is a similar technique. Using a self hypnosis trick to lower your mental resistance or lower pain signals is another. As time passes you go deeper and kind of forget your body - like the way when you sleep you don't feel aches but when your mind wakes up again they come back. This all really requires a foundation of practicing physical relaxation techniques. Someone who does chi kung/internal martial arts or yoga may have their foot in the door with this already. And the simple tip is use the posture that is most comfortable. The 'Egyptian' posture (in a straightbacked chair, erect torso and head, with hands on knees) is easier for older people than half lotus or swastikasana (crossed legs). Lying down is okay for some magical meditations. An erect torso is often recommended for chi/chakra based work.

Restlessness

One thing to do is stop getting caught up in clock watching. Just do the meditation and let it start to become a habit. Stop when you need to. As it becomes a habit it may well become easier to do and to do for longer and longer.

Maybe avoid the 'are we there yet?' attitude. They say 'a watched kettle never boils'. So maybe don't get caught up in measuring yourself against expectations. Buddhist monks (whose experiences I've read about) just put the time in as best they can, with a casual attitude, and get up when the time is up.

Maybe allow yourself to move and adjust your posture during meditation sessions - you usually don't have to stay absolutely still.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I’m in Week 4 of 6 now, and do you know how many spells we’ve covered?

Zero.

It’s ALL been about building physical, mental, and spiritual discipline, self-reflection, self-mastery, etc.

But this makes sense. It’s like the skating drills hockey players use in practice. Do they use those specific drills during the game? No. Do they use the SKILLS those drills promote? YES.

So I’m all about this kind of skill-building, and anyone who wants to truly excel should be willing to do it, as well.

Never mind shooting lightning bolts from your fingers. Tame and eliminate needless mental chatter. Compared to that, lightning bolts are child’s play, lol.

Syrah
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: ET
If I could be anything, I would be...: Galactic Being

I know It is critical to be able to calm your mind for alignment purposes and gain any ground whatsoever. But I can’t do it yet. I do listen to brainwave which helps a bit.

I wish to develop further and be equipped for reaching a reflective state just naturally.

Shran/Shrek Fan since 2001.

10 partners in crime, 6 healers, 1 businessman & 1 wise teacher.

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” — The Little Prince.
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Aryan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:01 pm hi, how will it be like ..i mean will it be live or hows it? can i get the link to get on to that course?
The course has been reframed into an evergreen course (where anyone can sign up at any time, and the lessons are prerecorded and can be taken at the student's own pace). When I was taking it, it was a live course that ran for six weeks.

Anyway, the course is from Jason Louv at Magick.me . Head over there and find out about pricing and so on.

There is a followup course, but I am saving up for that one. This dratted pandemic has resulted in my working fewer hours per week, so I have less spare money than I had before.

Return to “Meditation”