The depth of meditation.

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
Shaddowpumpkin
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 2
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No name
If I could be anything, I would be...: No name
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Cerium sky dragon consoul
Zodiac:

When meditating, I don't like to stay on the surface so much as to dive Right in. I've tried various methods for tracking how deep I am, but none that I can make sense of yet. I realise this sort of meditation can lead to all kinds of places. But has any one tried to map it out in any way?

0x. It takes a story to describe a word, and words to tell the story.
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Shaddowpumpkin wrote:When meditating, I don't like to stay on the surface so much as to dive Right in. I've tried various methods for tracking how deep I am, but none that I can make sense of yet. I realise this sort of meditation can lead to all kinds of places. But has any one tried to map it out in any way?
Mediation is such a vast and varied subject.

Do you mean map out the places you can go in meditation - that sounds like guided journeys, maybe via visualisation or shamanic journeying. So that would be mapping out the multiverse I guess. People have mapped out the structure and levels of the astral planes and the shamanic Otherworld.

Or do you mean mapping out the levels of depth that can be achieved? That sounds like which one of the 5 brain wave frequencies - Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta, and Gamma - someone's in.

Another metric could be how deep into one's consciousness one has travelled - if the meditation is one in which depth is an aspect of the method. Eg when I learned TM in 1971 the phrase 'ride the mantra like a horse into the depths of your consciousness' was used.

Another way of mapping where someone has got to in meditation is whether they've gone beyond, say, intermittent visuals or energy experiences and reached Samadhi - a state of oneness with the object of meditation, where the identity of the meditator disappears.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Shaddowpumpkin
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 2
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No name
If I could be anything, I would be...: No name
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Cerium sky dragon consoul
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote:
Shaddowpumpkin wrote:When meditating, I don't like to stay on the surface so much as to dive Right in. I've tried various methods for tracking how deep I am, but none that I can make sense of yet. I realise this sort of meditation can lead to all kinds of places. But has any one tried to map it out in any way?
Mediation is such a vast and varied subject.

Do you mean map out the places you can go in meditation - that sounds like guided journeys, maybe via visualisation or shamanic journeying. So that would be mapping out the multiverse I guess. People have mapped out the structure and levels of the astral planes and the shamanic Otherworld.

Or do you mean mapping out the levels of depth that can be achieved? That sounds like which one of the 5 brain wave frequencies - Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta, and Gamma - someone's in.

Another metric could be how deep into one's consciousness one has travelled - if the meditation is one in which depth is an aspect of the method. Eg when I learned TM in 1971 the phrase 'ride the mantra like a horse into the depths of your consciousness' was used.

Another way of mapping where someone has got to in meditation is whether they've gone beyond, say, intermittent visuals or energy experiences and reached Samadhi - a state of oneness with the object of meditation, where the identity of the meditator disappears.
Your always so full of information it's wonderful. In this case I think I'd be talking about how deep into ones consciousness ones traveled. I suppose it's a funny question for to me to ask, cause for me I seem to be sorta traped in a ball. Doesn't mean I haven't got through it. But even so I can't pass it. So lines can get burry in a hurry.

0x. It takes a story to describe a word, and words to tell the story.
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Shaddowpumpkin wrote: Your always so full of information it's wonderful. In this case I think I'd be talking about how deep into ones consciousness ones traveled. I suppose it's a funny question for to me to ask, cause for me I seem to be sorta traped in a ball. Doesn't mean I haven't got through it. But even so I can't pass it. So lines can get burry in a hurry.

Looking back on my own experiences, the deep meditations seem to have come without me trying for them, kind of unexpectedly. But they were definitely sustained as repeated experiences by my having been committed to keeping up regular practice and investigating time and effort into that. (Which might even have been the reason they came to me in the first place.)

That kind of reads like the old spiritual adage to be patient, do the practice and let the experience take care of itself and not get too attached to it. We all vary in terms of our mind/body systems - so it's probably best not to measure ourselves up against other people, or to aim for a standard / benchmark experience.

find it again.
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote:EDIT: keeping up regular practice and investing time and effort into that.

find it again.

Return to “Meditation”