neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 16
Your favorite spirit to work with: Incubus/cambion
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Hi! I have another silly newbie question. I will probably be buying my first CH spirit a few months from now. What I want is something for protection, and specifically a canine spirit - I intuit that this would be best for me because I've always been a dog person, lol. My first instinct is to buy a hellhound, but their CH profile says that they guard magical treasures. Nothing about protecting their keeper or his/her home. Would a hellhound be able to do this job?

Also, I am wondering; does anyone have any personal stories about canine protection spirits? I would love to hear them! Please share! :8)

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

I love hellhounds, though my intuition is telling me to suggest a werewolf to you so I'm going to mention that. CH describes them thusly: "They are guardians and protectors of their Keeper, their home and all spirits considered part of the family."

My hellhound companion is an incredibly close friend and protector, though that isn't as dominant of a trait with them as with others. He offers wise counsel --highly intelligent and insightful, seeing angles of situations that I may not and that also applies to protection. He has a way of bringing a perspective from the end-result of what I can expect if I go a certain route in life in terms of risks vs. gains involved, so a unique element of security that we can easily overlook.

Overall I see the protective quality of hellhounds as being more toward situations of spirit communication, they would be inclined to secure your interactions with the dead and make sure you're connecting to the spirits you intend rather than a malicious force or trickster.

It is totally up to what you're feeling drawn toward though, and custom conjuration does actually allow you to request that they bring through a hellhound spirit who is all about protecting you.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Lux
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner

Vipera aspis atra wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:41 am I love hellhounds, though my intuition is telling me to suggest a werewolf to you so I'm going to mention that. CH describes them thusly: "They are guardians and protectors of their Keeper, their home and all spirits considered part of the family."

My hellhound companion is an incredibly close friend and protector, though that isn't as dominant of a trait with them as with others. He offers wise counsel --highly intelligent and insightful, seeing angles of situations that I may not and that also applies to protection. He has a way of bringing a perspective from the end-result of what I can expect if I go a certain route in life in terms of risks vs. gains involved, so a unique element of security that we can easily overlook.

Overall I see the protective quality of hellhounds as being more toward situations of spirit communication, they would be inclined to secure your interactions with the dead and make sure you're connecting to the spirits you intend rather than a malicious force or trickster.

It is totally up to what you're feeling drawn toward though, and custom conjuration does actually allow you to request that they bring through a hellhound spirit who is all about protecting you.

Thanks for sharing Vipera aspis atra, and thanks to the OP for creating this thread.
You gave some good info that will help me make a decision... the hellhound has been on my wish list for a while now.

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

Happy to read that, Angelik!

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 150
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: a mage
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Hellhounds are the best! I mean not all, but some enjoy cuddling when not on guard duty.

"The first step towards change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something that you do, it's what you allow." - Will Garcia

Literally so many spirits and entities now, even after I said I would not get anymore. But definitely under 200. May it stay that way :p)
Elm
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: Male

I agree with what others have said — hellhounds are amazing guardians for yourself, your home, loved ones. Werewolves, Duojna, and Cwn Annwn are also fantastic canine-like guardians.

stargazerjournal
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 16
Your favorite spirit to work with: Incubus/cambion

Thank you everyone! With your kind help, I have made up my mind about what to buy. Now I just need to wait until I can afford it. :)

Return to “Protection”