Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Mystic fire

Re: Don't do this.

Post by lolaberry »

nina wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm
I heard that when a spell is done over some days, it is ok to blow it out as it means sending little of the magic out everyday.
I agree, magic is in the mind. You have the power, not the candle. The candle is the tool, honestly you don't even need candles in spells. I have done candle spells in the past and blown the candle out, it worked within 2 days, not the expected 5 days. I did this as a beginner in spells many years ago lol. I mostly do magic without candles now. Think of LOA it's the same thing, no difference at all, you don't need candles for that.

2wk ::uni:: ::dragons:: ::dragons:: :rainbow:

Vipera aspis atra
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a master

Post by Vipera aspis atra »

No, you certainly don't need candles for spells. I would like to reiterate that the original intent of my post was inclined toward those who don't have success with magic involving spells or could be having more successful results.

I think commentary on whether or not candles are necessary, or that it didn't seem (because that is all most know, that it did not 'seem') to make a difference in getting results in some cases, is irrelevant to my point with this thread.

If one wants to be consistently successful and grow in magic, they should be capable of applying a logic to what is happening, how it is happening, and where it could be altered.
(If one is just dabbling or isn't conducting any serious spells, I do agree this doesn't really matter. I do not know who is going to invest that kind of time to learn when they just want to play around or bank on visualization/personal elements rather than regarding the elements beyond self.)

But I want to clarify this because I take the time to investigate and dissect how things work, and have conducted thousands of spells with or without candles. This is one aspect I have learned in using them which came along with validating or invalidating popular magical superstitions. Sure, if I've blown out a candle and my spell has worked, it is because other elements at play were overwhelmingly teetering the outcome into my favour, or I have strategically set into motion what is occurring once it is blown out.
What about when they aren't or there is no set direction, and you're laboring over this candle - oiling it up, dressing it with herbs, putting all of your eggs into that basket because it can and should be extremely effective if you do - then you blow the thing out? I have to object that you haven't damaged the spell in that case.
It may bring results, but it hasn't necessarily finished manifesting and you could have had better results. People are seeing small successes and thinking their spell has worked; they overlook when the outcome is fleeting, they overlook the little problems with what they've received. They don't understand that they could have gotten precisely what they wanted had they taken more care with some element of the spell whether it be a candle or other component.

When you don't know why a spell has or hasn't worked, because you haven't investigated that, you're going to believe what works most effectively is 'different' in all cases.
It would be advantageous for some here to take more interest in dissecting their magic so they fully understand it for themselves, whether or not it aligns with advisories from those experienced in the craft. It seems there is such a lack of that. So much of the 'intuitively this, I felt that, I saw that, this happened' but what are the mechanics behind it?
If anyone who stumbles into this thread is serious about pursuing a life of magic, you ought to be thinking about that. You can't do true justice to a magical practice unless you're actively going there and looking to improve. Magic should entail development, tinkerings, leveling up in your art.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde

"No."
—David Lynch

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 12
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Variable
If I could be anything, I would be...: Deific
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity
My magical/paranormal name...: Variable

Post by Muse »

Vipera aspis atra wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03 pm
No, you certainly don't need candles for spells. I would like to reiterate that the original intent of my post was inclined toward those who don't have success with magic involving spells or could be having more successful results.

I think commentary on whether or not candles are necessary, or that it didn't seem (because that is all most know, that it did not 'seem') to make a difference in getting results in some cases, is irrelevant to my point with this thread.

If one wants to be consistently successful and grow in magic, they should be capable of applying a logic to what is happening, how it is happening, and where it could be altered.
(If one is just dabbling or isn't conducting any serious spells, I do agree this doesn't really matter. I do not know who is going to invest that kind of time to learn when they just want to play around or bank on visualization/personal elements rather than regarding the elements beyond self.)

But I want to clarify this because I take the time to investigate and dissect how things work, and have conducted thousands of spells with or without candles. This is one aspect I have learned in using them which came along with validating or invalidating popular magical superstitions. Sure, if I've blown out a candle and my spell has worked, it is because other elements at play were overwhelmingly teetering the outcome into my favour, or I have strategically set into motion what is occurring once it is blown out.
What about when they aren't or there is no set direction, and you're laboring over this candle - oiling it up, dressing it with herbs, putting all of your eggs into that basket because it can and should be extremely effective if you do - then you blow the thing out? I have to object that you haven't damaged the spell in that case.
It may bring results, but it hasn't necessarily finished manifesting and you could have had better results. People are seeing small successes and thinking their spell has worked; they overlook when the outcome is fleeting, they overlook the little problems with what they've received. They don't understand that they could have gotten precisely what they wanted had they taken more care with some element of the spell whether it be a candle or other component.

When you don't know why a spell has or hasn't worked, because you haven't investigated that, you're going to believe what works most effectively is 'different' in all cases.
It would be advantageous for some here to take more interest in dissecting their magic so they fully understand it for themselves, whether or not it aligns with advisories from those experienced in the craft. It seems there is such a lack of that. So much of the 'intuitively this, I felt that, I saw that, this happened' but what are the mechanics behind it?
If anyone who stumbles into this thread is serious about pursuing a life of magic, you ought to be thinking about that. You can't do true justice to a magical practice unless you're actively going there and looking to improve. Magic should entail development, tinkerings, leveling up in your art.
Just going to put in my two cents by saying...

I like this point of view and I'm glad you shared it. It gives me something to test and experiment with later.

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”