Are candle warmers the same as burning candles?

Dezire
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 6
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anybody knows whether in all spiritual endeavours, that candle warmers work the same as burning candles?

For example say I want to use a candle as an offering for my spirits, but instead of burning it with a flame, I use a candle warmer which has no flame but the wax still melts. Is it still as effective? What about casting spells?

As you know candle warmers create less pollution, generally safer to use, and also allows a longer candle shelf life.

Full time Business analyst, part time Spirit Keeper & Dota freak. My goal is to swap these roles
Restarting my spirit keeping journey
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3

I've heard spirits are attracted to candlelight and the combustion of the candle rather than the melting wax. If nothing else, a burning candle wick gives you something to focus on.

However...there's still energy being put off by the candle melter so maybe spirits could be attracted to that energy? Plus it would work like incense: creating a scent atmosphere or providing a scent offering. It might be interesting to try scrying in the wax?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Dezire wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:31 pm Hello everyone. I was wondering if anybody knows whether in all spiritual endeavours, that candle warmers work the same as burning candles?

For example say I want to use a candle as an offering for my spirits, but instead of burning it with a flame, I use a candle warmer which has no flame but the wax still melts. Is it still as effective? What about casting spells?

As you know candle warmers create less pollution, generally safer to use, and also allows a longer candle shelf life.
I think cairngorn has it basically right.

tl/dr: For spiritual endeavours, a candle traditionally has to be lit. I can't think of one for which allowing an unlit candle to melt would work. But you can get things like essential oil burners that are fairly safe - or just stay awake while it burns and keep an eye on it.

If a conjurer/seller specifies that a spirit needs a candle lit as an offering, then it can be safely assumed the expectation is that it should be lit. Melting a perfumed candle seems like only a way to release a fragrance (ie that could be in different forms, not just in candles.)

If you consider what candles are and what they've been used for for thousands of years, it is to provide light. So for me that is what a candle is and does and pretty much all spiritual endeavours that have used candles need a burning candle.

Yes, there is a smell, depending on what the candle is made of. The ancient Egyptians made candles from reeds dipped in tallow fat, which has a strong, unpleasant smell. In the middle ages tallow was also used, unless you were wealthy and could afford beeswax candles. They have no unpleasant odour.

So when I give a spirit a candle offering I light a candle. It has to be lit and allowed to burn. When doing candle magic, the lit candles absolutely have to burn.

But when I use a spirit's association to make a treat or bonding aid with a specific fragrance, it doesn't matter to me if that is an essential oil, a piece of fruit - or a perfumed candle - or whatever.

It's really only in recent decades (perhaps since the hippy 1960s?) that perfume in candles has become a Thing. So I'm thinking there are probably very few spiritual endeavours indeed in which a candle is melted without being lit. But, yes, it's a good way to release a fragrance and that might be a good offering, depending on the circumstances.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Dezire
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 6
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

I see. Great info there, burning candles it is then.
Thank you both!

Full time Business analyst, part time Spirit Keeper & Dota freak. My goal is to swap these roles
Restarting my spirit keeping journey
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 3

That said...you don't have to use candles when you make offerings. Or necessarily to do spell work.

PrincessKnight
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

There are many electric wax melters that are very nice looking, indeed, although I prefer to use perfumed candles because there are more frgrance choices. If you use perfumes as an offering, a wax melter or candle warmer is fine, but if you have to cast a spell you need to light real candles.

Return to “General Questions”