More memberz

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
nina
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Not sure yet
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Angelika

Kayori wrote:Only real problem by going about and saying "Hey guys, join this forum I found. It's awesome!"...

That's when the trolls start rolling in. Some of the people who get invited to it, or stumble in by indirect means wind up being the forum's downfall. They may not have the same mindset or viewpoint of all of this, and start a thread somewhere like This isn't real! We've had several of those, and they are like over 300 pages long with replies of senior and new members alike, all fighting some idiot who decided to troll. That crap didn't stop getting posted in until the CH team locked the freakin' thread.

Demanding new members won't bring in good members, not always. I would suggest only inviting your possible friends who hold the same views, or are willing to accept that the physical world isn't the only reality. The whole Doctor Strange thing is possible, but you have to work for it. It doesn't just come from nowhere.

But honestly, creating a group on FB... setting it Public... and posting the link to the Creepy Hollows Store, or Forum in the description is not the way to go. Especially if you just invite every single "friend" in your FB account to said group. Religious people, depending on their views, may shame you for witchcraft. And there is a possibility of them trickling here, and doing the same to honest decent people.
The CH forums are a pretty tight knit community when they are actually active, and people start to show up again. New faces are nice, but not if it's going to turn into a freaking free for all about politics, religion, or people bashing our beliefs, or talking down to everyone just because their minds are to closed to others' opinions.
True FB Groups are not a good idea... my FB Account has vast and varied Contacts like Family Friends colleagues aquaintances...Many would either think I am nuts or the more religious of my Contacts would think that I am committing a Grave Sin.. Here I Can be Anonymous and talk to like Minded people... I didnt Notice any Lack of Activity Here, perhaps because as a newbie i was busy going through Older Posts and there is always some answer to my Posts. I have thankfully not Not come across any trolls so far Here, perhaps as I Havent Been Here long enough.

Off to a rollercoaster ride of a lifetime 1h
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Troll control tends to be pretty tight around here, so I don't think that's an extreme concern.

However, member quality is sort of the main concern, and is why so much of the board is very tightly controlled - tenure and all that.

There are a ton of members who only post when specific subjects come up, but normally lurk often, many of whom are very knowledgeable and I wish would post more often.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
CerataPhthalma
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Regholdain wrote:Troll control tends to be pretty tight around here, so I don't think that's an extreme concern.

However, member quality is sort of the main concern, and is why so much of the board is very tightly controlled - tenure and all that.

There are a ton of members who only post when specific subjects come up, but normally lurk often, many of whom are very knowledgeable and I wish would post more often.
Some of us that have been here awhile have stopped posting as much because A) the same questions come up over and over again, and apparently no one knows how to use the forum's search function to even begin researching their question (or, worse, they want an instant answer without reading through threads like we had to) or B) we suggest something informed by our knowledge and experience, and we are immediately discarded and our advice unheeded or even argued with vehemently (not discussed, mind; argued).

I, for one, get tired of seeing the same thing over and over, people asking questions easily answered by a search and browse. I'm also very off-put by some of the attitudes I've seen from some of our "newbies" who either want a quick fix or want to argue and deny all day long. When people come in to this path and don't want to put in even half the work we've put into it, is it any wonder we withdraw and stop sharing? I'm not teaching an art class to people who only come to gawk at the nude models, if you catch my drift.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)

CerataPhthalma wrote:
Regholdain wrote:Troll control tends to be pretty tight around here, so I don't think that's an extreme concern.

Some of us that have been here awhile have stopped posting as much because A) the same questions come up over and over again, and apparently no one knows how to use the forum's search function to even begin researching their question (or, worse, they want an instant answer without reading through threads like we had to) or B) we suggest something informed by our knowledge and experience, and we are immediately discarded and our advice unheeded or even argued with vehemently (not discussed, mind; argued).

I, for one, get tired of seeing the same thing over and over, people asking questions easily answered by a search and browse. I'm also very off-put by some of the attitudes I've seen from some of our "newbies" who either want a quick fix or want to argue and deny all day long. When people come in to this path and don't want to put in even half the work we've put into it, is it any wonder we withdraw and stop sharing? I'm not teaching an art class to people who only come to gawk at the nude models, if you catch my drift.
I completely understand and know what you mean. It's why I've been taking breaks now and then.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

CerataPhthalma wrote:Some of us that have been here awhile have stopped posting as much because A) the same questions come up over and over again, and apparently no one knows how to use the forum's search function to even begin researching their question (or, worse, they want an instant answer without reading through threads like we had to) or B) we suggest something informed by our knowledge and experience, and we are immediately discarded and our advice unheeded or even argued with vehemently (not discussed, mind; argued).

This. All day long.

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

It's hard to bring new people to this place. They got exposed to it through another site and now that's their "base of operations" where CH is ours.

LittleGreenIcon
neophyte
neophyte

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:
CerataPhthalma wrote:Some of us that have been here awhile have stopped posting as much because A) the same questions come up over and over again, and apparently no one knows how to use the forum's search function to even begin researching their question (or, worse, they want an instant answer without reading through threads like we had to) or B) we suggest something informed by our knowledge and experience, and we are immediately discarded and our advice unheeded or even argued with vehemently (not discussed, mind; argued).

This. All day long.
I know what you mean. I haven't been here as long as some but learnt etiquette early only. Search for your topic, if there are no threads then start a topic. I know personally many older members have left or rarely participate because of the same questions over and over again, as Alys and Cerata said.
I also see repeatedly for older members that the hand holding aspect is quite a problem, when most have had to research and learn through years of experience many newbie members wants answers "right now" and to be told exactly how to do things when it takes personal experience to learn in this path.
A self-motivated learner asks questions that aid their practice, though many seem to just want others to think for them.

AFrog
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret

agreed! Full heartedly!
The forum is too tight monitored. There is no way members can interact with each other to form bonds, to "bind" people to the forum. Because here is the place, where they can share their experience with others. It feels more like a blackboard.
Where is the reason I should answer anybodys question, I don't know or have a connection to? I like to help people with their problems, even use the search function for them, if there's some kind of liking, but all I read from new members are just questions. There's no way to get to know the other persons, because the chat is gone and before that, newbies weren't allowed there anymore.
The forum just became boring. Like Cerata said: they're always the same questions and if you try to help, some of them try to get you into an argument why you're not right, blah blah.

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

I would like it if we did have another chat and they brought back the ability to PM. That’s when a lot of bonds were formed.

LittleGreenIcon
neophyte
neophyte

There is the ability to PM, you should more than satisfy the criteria for tenured.
Send HD a ticket asking for an upgrade.
If you have been inactive for a while, which it seems you may have, they may require you to up your activity before they do grant an upgrade in status.
It would be nice to see chat back, but without the grey names its practically dead and pointless. Nobody else was on there.

Return to “Forum Suggestions”