active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 27
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Poppy

Article - Target Selection: The Key To Effective Magic

Postby Alys » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:37 pm

"Nothing has as much impact on how well your spell will work than how well – or how poorly – you decide exactly what to work magic for. It is a bit ironic that most magical systems utilize metaphors, poetry, and other symbolic language, but magic itself is highly literal. You don’t get what you want – you get what you enchant for.... This is the hardest part of magic. For everyone who lives above the subsistence level (and in this country, that’s pretty much everyone) it’s the hardest part of life. It’s the paradox of choice: having a few choices makes us feel like we’re in control of our lives, but having many choices is just a lot of work."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbecket ... magic.html

niceprotonman
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: PeiNgoCheen
If I could be anything, I would be...: me
My magical/paranormal name...: TiuLengLui

Re: Article - Target Selection: The Key To Effective Magic

Postby niceprotonman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:20 am

It's also called "Intent".

Charles_Odinforce
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 18
Your favorite spirit to work with: Aesir
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Thorian

Re: Article - Target Selection: The Key To Effective Magic

Postby Charles_Odinforce » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:04 am

There are 2 rules to focus in magick.

#1) The broader the focus, the easier it is to achieve. This is because magick ultimately relies on altering probabilities and drawing events into play. A broad focus such as money, luck, love (in general) will have much greater results than Promotion to President of the Company, Winning the Lottery, making THIS SINGLE PERSON madly in love with you. Broad focus means there are more opportunities for magick to influence an event, outcome, or even a person in the trail of events. Maybe the boss sees your work, your not ready for a promotion, but some easy overtime helping him file some papers while you have a beer and watch the game...that could be arranged. Maybe you win a couple raffles, or find $20 on the ground. Maybe that person you were chasing finds someone else, and in calling up a friend you find out they've had a crush on you the entire time. In the first one the boss takes a slight liking to you, in the second you turn down the street at the right moment. In the third your friend who you do look at that way, but never thought looked at you, is emboldened to proclaim their love.

#2) The more singular the focus the more power needed. This falls into manifesting probabilities, and shifting SINGULAR outcomes into place. This requires shifting not just small probabilities but thousands of countless probabilities INCLUDING all those other people pouring out a mass of energy against this in the first place. Since only ONE outcome is sufficient often times that energy will be expended on the practically impossible roads which are the ONLY ones that can bring this SINGULAR probability into happening. This is why so many practitioners recommend readings before spell work when it is VERY specific. A lot of time, energy, and heartache is saved over knowing HOW it will go.

The middle ground of course is in defining fairly broad terms, but with specific limits. A time frame to manifest within that is reasonable, or perhaps that it can't be through misfortune. After all, that beer tastes a little less good when you know that Jimmy passed away and he was going to join the boss for the filing expedition that weekend, but now you are instead.

Professional Mystic at
http://www.rosequartzlabyrinth.com

"Power unrestrained dead on the mark is what we will deliver tonight!" - Disturbed Ten Thousand Fists in the Air

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”