Depression / Depressive thoughts

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
niceprotonman
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: PeiNgoTorTorCheen
If I could be anything, I would be...: me
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: TiuLengLui

Depression / Depressive thoughts

Postby niceprotonman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Sometimes, at nights especially, even though there are people sleeping nearby, I get depressive thoughts just charging into my head.

Any tips & tricks on how to immediately get rid of these thoughts before they start to escalate?

HorizonSignal
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 5
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity

Re: Depression / Depressive thoughts

Postby HorizonSignal » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:01 pm

You'll want to shift your focus away from the negative somehow.
You can invert the negative thought, contemplate it's opposite. Sometimes the opposite of a negative thought is absurd and silly (and maybe not even true), but laughter IS the best medicine...
You can focus on the present, with a mindful breath or two. Rarely are we in so much real pain, as we carry in our thoughts.
You can try gratitude, too. I know that, at the least, you have some kind of internet connection. That's a miracle that we've all just kind of.. gotten over. Perhaps you have a mattress, instead of a mat of woven leaves? Is there a roof over your head? Have you fresh food in your refrigerator? Modern life is filled with wonders and comforts; appreciation for them is a source of joy too many leave unharvested.

I hope you find yourself feeling better.

Lewk
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 75
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Easthorse Indigo

Postby Lewk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:15 am

I found 'Overcoming depression' by Paul Gilbert, available on Kindle, helped me. Basically any self help book on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy that feels accessible to you may help.

Of course it's wise to consult your own doctor or health professionals.

CBT explains how allowing depressive thought cycles to continue actually lets your body release a mix of chemicals that puts people in a depressed state. When we are able to simply stop that thought pattern we find our mood does not get so deep and unhappy - it's the body's chemical factory that responds to our thoughts that causes much of the problem - realising this was a breakthrough for me anyway.

Certain approaches to meditation involve a fairly similar technique of observing your thoughts, realising you are not your thoughts - you have thoughts but your consciousness is distinct from them. You can then look to discover a stillness between or behind the thoughts - even reach a 'no mind' / no thoughts state, which can be liberating and gives your system a break from the effect on your body of depressed or stressed thinking. That's how it has affected me for what it's worth.

There must be a lot of books out there that teach these no-mind meditation techniques. Hope this is a useful reply.

What kind of meditation do you do?

divineseeker
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Postby divineseeker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:29 am

Hello,
Hope the depressive thoughts vanish soon. .The suggestions given sounds good. Take care.

Return to “Meditation”