Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: My entire posse
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Ritual Structure

Postby SilverElf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on ritual structure when casting spells?

Technically I learned the Wiccan way, but I no longer identify with that path, and was wondering if there are any non-denominational structures out there. I'd be curious to learn how y'all approach it. :)

*Caveat: I know that the intent and will > structure, but I am still a hopeless noob at Chaos magic, and I like a little pomp, circumstance, and theatre in my magick practice.

My spirit posse so far: 1 Bronwyn Angel; 1 Adlet; 1 Raiju; 1 Shadhavar; 1 Nanaue; 1 Gryphon; 1 Star Faery; 1 Minotaur; 1 Deerfolk; 1 Fallen Angel <3

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: omnomnom
If I could be anything, I would be...: blingbling
My magical/paranormal name...: Blade Birch

Re: Ritual Structure

Postby darkwing dook » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:19 am

Mmh, depending on the ritual or tradition, I guess. The usual ones would include purification, sacred space, magickal working, etc.

"Knowing a trifle about everything gives life more color." - Zhuge Liang
"Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use." - Wendell Johnson

Fight, Flight, Freeze, Fawn, Flooding, or Fatigue : P

Alys-RaccoonReadings
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 27
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys

Postby Alys-RaccoonReadings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:22 pm

I typically do not include a ritual with my spellwork so much as I sometimes work spellwork into my sabbat rituals. That said, when I do a ritual, I take the basic bones and structure from John Beckett's solitary rituals. He's in the druid tradition but also a UU pagan. I use his opening and closing--calling the quarters and raising the circle, etc.--and tweak the sabbat-specific substance to suit my practice and needs. I don't see why you couldn't do the same for your own spellcasting rituals. You can see one of his solitary rituals here: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbecke ... itual.html

Also, I've seen 'The Chaos Protocols' (https://www.amazon.com/Chaos-Protocols- ... 0738744719) highly recommended among experienced practitioners, if you haven't read it already. The guy also has a really good podcast. I think it's called "Rune Soup."

Regholdain
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby Regholdain » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:03 am

Alys, you get more interesting every time I read your responses. You have an interesting wealth of knowledge and experience.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 27
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys

Postby Alys-RaccoonReadings » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 am

Regholdain wrote:Alys, you get more interesting every time I read your responses. You have an interesting wealth of knowledge and experience.

Lol! Thank you! I have a rich inner life and a thing for exhaustive research. X-D

quantumflux
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 17
If I could be anything, I would be...: I’m a faerie.
My magical/paranormal name...: Wouldn’t you like to know. HEHE

Postby quantumflux » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:00 pm

I use the ritual structure as outlined in the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. I also take some pointers from the faerie tradition and chaos magick.

Ellie44
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Postby Ellie44 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:03 am

I go with my gut and sort of do my own thing, if I had to classify myself it would be a kitchen witch. I find for me personally I can't do rituals, although one might argue recipes could be considered that. I do however, always make sure to secure and cleanse the space. I have been studying since I was a teenager and at 37 the process has changed many times.

I have one woman who I did almost like an apprenticeship with and she practiced Hermeticism. I wanted to have more discipline and that gave me it. The Golden Dawn methods were beautiful sounding and amazing to participate in. After three years though I accepted it just wasn't my path. I found a mentor who more aligned with me and she stressed grounding, cleansing and protection and to listen to my gut.

I find sometimes even doing the same type of spells may have different methods to them depending on the energies etc. So I guess what I'm trying to say what works for one may not work for others. Perfect example Dasadon commented about following the path that didn't at all work for me. For them it works, for the woman I studied under it worked as well as many others I know. I felt clumsy and awkward doing it. You may look into it and something stirs in you and it's the right path for you. I would suggest reading up on different paths and seeing what sparks an interest. There are many beautiful paths out there and many versions of them.

I did attempt Wiccan for a minute but immediately realised it wasn't for me. I cannot stress enough, at least for me, the benefit of having a solid mentor who has experience in whatever path you end up on. Per the usual I rambled on a ridiculously long post. Haha hopefully this helped and didn't leave you scratching your head.

“Being normal is vastly overrated.” 1d

SilverElf
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: My entire posse
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Postby SilverElf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am

Thanks everyone for your input!

You guys have excellent points about sampling different systems and seeing what works for me.

Alys: thanks for the recommendation of "The Chaos Protocols." Definitely checking it out!

My spirit posse so far: 1 Bronwyn Angel; 1 Adlet; 1 Raiju; 1 Shadhavar; 1 Nanaue; 1 Gryphon; 1 Star Faery; 1 Minotaur; 1 Deerfolk; 1 Fallen Angel <3

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”