Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Archangel
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

I was just thinking.....

-- Spirit keeping generally attracts spiritual practitioners and people who feel they need more spiritual protection, either have a low self esteem, and/or have little to no spiritual or religious foundation.

People who are generally whole, confident, have a high self esteem and self worth, and/or have a strong connection to an angel, religious diety or demon generally wouldn't be interested in spirit keeping.

*Im not trying to offend anyone. i was curious.. How true do you think this is? (I would just like your opinion)

Nightrunner404
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a master
Male/Female: It's a Secret

So I am very new to spirit keeping.

My self esteem is probably average, I am comfortable with who and what I am. If anything I would say I am disappointed in fellow humans more than myself. Not that I think i am better as I am definitely flawed in many ways lol.

I have been a Christian since I was a child, however since I hit my 30's and due to my life experiences I have come to question the the legitimacy of the organized churches I have been exposed to in my life. A little too much human greed and power obsession for my taste. I would say I have been floating in limbo spiritually for many years, still believing in God etc but not really trusting what churches and other Christians would shove in my face. Even before that I often found myself on the outside of conversations of biblical nature because I am also very much a scientific kind of thinker and question much of the "timing" of what Christians believe from the bible.

For the last year and a half I have been stuck in some pretty rough family situations that I am not really able to remove myself from. It has caused me plenty of stress as well as physical and mental pain. I wouldn't say I would call myself broken til this phase of my life, I had hardships and bad experiences prior but this past year and a half was rock bottom.

I had no idea spirit keeping was even a thing outside of books, movies etc. A few months ago I randomly came across entries on Etsy for spirits related to art I was searching for. One of them called out to me and she has helped me rid myself of much of the overbearing negativity I have been forced to live with. I have been happier in the past 2 months than I have been in many years.

Since I discovered spirit keeping I bought and read Ash and Magnolias book and learned that people of all faiths participate in spirit keeping, which really intrigued me as well. I would say spirit keeping reinforced my spirituality. And the kindness the community has showed me thus far has also gone great strides into making me not lose all hope for humans lol.

So I don't think that people that are "whole" would be uninterested. I think the calling to spirit keeping varies greatly. They are a great support system to have though, so I think that may lean someone to think that only people with issues are drawn to them. If I could snap my fingers and tomorrow be a suit wearing, suave talking CEO who went to church every Sunday with the perfect nuclear family, I would still want spirits with me and around me.

I would venture to guess, more people don't spirit keep because the either don't know of it, maybe don't believe in the paranormal, or have preconceived ideas of the paranormal. I have always believed in the paranormal, even outside of things such as angels and biblical things. I have had my fair share of paranormal experiences especially when I was younger and in college, several haunted campuses here. However I have always thought there were paranormal things no one should be messing with, stuff that I now know are categorized typically as Black Art things. Sure some people do and that's their choice but not my cup o tea. I was pleasantly surprised to learn what Dark Arts were compared to Black Arts. It made spirit keeping and magick seem much less sketchy if a vast portion of it isn't in this Black Arts area that my own intuition just said steer clear of. Now would my very southern USA evangelical Christian family have heart attacks if they learned of what I am getting into probably, but that is where those preconceived ideas come in I think. At the same time many people have the same reaction because I own firearms.

I am of the mindset people should do what makes them happy, if spirits help mend someone with depression or trauma, that is great, but if I was that suave business man with everything in the world spirits would probably still be very useful but not everyone needs or wants them either.

Thank you for the discussion point, I always like to share my experiences in life and why they have shaped my opinions and what not.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Idk but I suspect it's not correct.

Afaik people with experience and expertise in being effective with magic, the paranormal and spirit work and who have confident personalities have also been attracted to spirit keeping. Maybe, like any field, there's diversity in the types of people involved.

On a related note, a modern taoist teacher whose expertise I very much respected sometimes spoke of how when he did seminars for businesses, he was amazed at the number of people there who looked very together on the face of it but when they came up to him to have a private chat disclosed appalling things that had happened to them in their lives. Such that he said he was amazed they could even function.

The takeaway for me is that a far greater percentage than we realise of people in modern society are nowhere near as together as we might imagine. Some of this comes out on things like chat shows more than it used to, which gives us a glimpse.

This forum is a safe space where we can open up about things more than in a normal, real world conversation, so perhaps that can come across as a bit different from normal, real world scenarios - but perhaps it's not so different.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
GaelicDream
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 13

angelicpeace wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:45 am I was just thinking.....

-- Spirit keeping generally attracts spiritual practitioners and people who feel they need more spiritual protection, either have a low self esteem, and/or have little to no spiritual or religious foundation.

People who are generally whole, confident, have a high self esteem and self worth, and/or have a strong connection to an angel, religious diety or demon generally wouldn't be interested in spirit keeping.

*Im not trying to offend anyone. i was curious.. How true do you think this is? (I would just like your opinion)
I think that’s a general overestimation. I’ll explain why. I think most people are searching for something, even as an atheist I was searching and I think it’s human nature for all of us to feel like we are lacking in something. I’ve never met one human who was how you described, “whole, confident, having high self esteem and self worth” all the time. None of us are like that constantly.

In fact, I’ve been very fortunate to in the past be very good friends with people who seem like this on the outside and have broken down to me and shown the cracks.

Most of the people we see who seem to always have it together always have some issue they seem to be working on. I’m not saying everyone is struggling the same way, but we all have our struggles.

I at times are exactly what you have described and friends and siblings have come to me for advice and I seem to have it all together, and there are times I’m at the bottom and my life feels like complete chaos.

What I’m getting at is humans are seldom binary. And if I had to say, the people I’ve interacted with here in the spirit keeping community, seem to have it together far more than most people.

Because what I’ve experienced in this community is people who even if they seem broken in some way are filled with far more hope than any person I’ve met who was only of the church or other religions. But that’s just my experience. I think we are all drawn to many different things. I myself have been, while I’ve been up in life and down in life.

I’d actually say the times I was the most down in life and feeling very broken was the times I wasn’t part of any spiritual path. Maybe due to the fact I thought there was no hope.

So I’d say there are whole and broken people on every path of life. I think you’ll feel more broken however if you’re on a path that isn’t right for you. Perhaps that’s why it seems broken people are drawn to spirit keeping, because they’re looking for their purpose or place in life, but tht can be said about any profession or hobby or religion. Once we find that path, we feel much more whole don’t we?

But to summarize I think no one is whole all the time and no one is broken all the time. We just show different sides to different people at different times in life.

ilmu khodam, Celtic djinn, ferrimu Dragon, wood elf, courtwind angel, butterfly fairy, adaman fairy, nympho, high elf of the lumi clan, daoine sith, kitsune, green dragon, sanguine vampire, Alpau (LE), fire fairy, wraith, mermaid, Caladrius, Ancient Priest, pavalina faery, Kavalya (LE), & family woodland faery, unicorn, sirinia faery, Ki-Lin, Bannik, Vermillion Dragon, pipe fox, midnight dragon, celyrn (LE), Dian Cecht (immortal)
Lux
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master

I don't think that is true for all people and cases, especially the part saying that those starting keeping spirits have little to no spiritual foundation, but there can be people who fall in those categories you mentioned.

Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 198
Spelled Number: 470
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

I didn't find any of it true. It's just an unfair generalization and hasty assumption.
I think many people think that they can't control their lives, and turn to spirits for help in order to improve themselves, which is understandable. It may not be true in all situations.
Spirit Keeping is for everyone. It has been around for thousands of years and it's not going anywhere. It's part of humanity's history and as long as we have an interest in the spiritual world, Spirit Keeping will be a part of our lives.

I have a very strong religious foundation. My family has two religious buildings in Europe and my aunts are the heads of these buildings. They travel the world to spread the good work and help people spiritually.
I have felt a strong connection to my religious deities. Let's just say they protected me from certain events that I won't be mentioning here—people wouldn't believe them anyway.
My family always believed in the paranormal because of said events. I didn't at the time, not until I encountered it myself on one of my travels. It scared me more than anything and it gave me some blockage when I first started this Spirit Keeping journey.

I feel very fortunate to be able to work with people and make them look their best every day. Before that, I worked in fashion. So I'm more than your average Joe.
I have always been interested in learning about the unknown. But it wasn't until I met my past life partner and evoked a feeling I'd never felt before that I was led to a psychic and discovered the metaphysical world. A few months later, I began to dabble in the practice and got my first two spirits.
It's interesting to see how we crossed paths at first but then went our separate ways as soon as I picked up Spirit Keeping. It's as if I have chosen a different path in life.

As for people who are whole, confident, have a high self-esteem and self-worth, and/or have a strong connection to an angel, religious deity or demon not being interested in Spirit Keeping, I don't think that's true at all.
I'm not saying this to say "I'm better than you" or anything like that, but I do think it's important for us to be aware of our own biases and blind spots when it comes to others' practices. We should never judge others for their spirituality or religious choices because we don't know their experiences and what led them there.

It's important to remember that Spirit Keeping is a practice that comes from a place of love and care. It's not about forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do, or being disrespectful of their beliefs. Instead, it's about giving people the tools they need to feel more connected and empowered in their daily lives.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Nerrad
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 1

I didn't get into this because I felt as though I needed more spiritual protection. I have very good self esteem and I have a strong religious foundation growing up and attending Catholic school. I have also enjoyed studying different world religions. I cannot speak for other people. I feel we all have our different reasons. My main reason is because I had a few out of body experiences and had seen the occasional spirit manifest before my eyes when I was learning to meditate. Organised religions, in my opinion, dont have all the answers. I had a deep desire to explore this phenomena and experiment with it. Sometimes experiments went well, sometimes those experiments didn't go well. But I find it enjoyable and I desire to seek the answers for myself.

The question for me is: Why would I go through life blindly accepting another person's dogma, when, with a little bit of daily practice, I could experience the greater non physical reality myself?

There is so much out there, more than any of us could imagine, why not explore it?

Tokala
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My magical/paranormal name...: Raiko

I'm wondering why or how you came to such conclusions? What did you observe?

SpiderCricket13
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 35
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I find your comment intriguing and had to think carefully about my response. I on balance think your comment is a generalisation based on preconceived notions that most turn to alternative spirituality in times of darkness. I think it finds you when you are ready.
I can only speak for myself but I lived through years of hell, abuse as a child, poor marital decisions which led to questionable life choices, and a lot more that if I’d been looking for a crutch, as it were, would probably have led me here. It didn’t, I muddled through as a solitary witch, came out the other side, and now, that my life is on track, I found spirit keeping. I’m very new to this, so can only speak from that perspective, but I truly believe that the entities/spirits that call to us do so at the right time for our development- they are not about being a ‘magic wand’ to fix us. *>* *>*

Whyme
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 1
Zodiac:

I believe that self-esteem and self-worth are hard to measure so is quite subjective. Those two can change depending on the situation one finds themselves in.

At the time I became aware that spirit keeping actually existed, I had left church mostly due to boredom as well as having questions and no answers. When I made meditation as part of my daily routine, then I made a lot of spiritual progress. Many years after that, Deities started sending me living entities and spirits so that lead me to finding that spirit keeping actually exists. Since it was a matter of me being unaware about spirit keeping, I can't say for certain that confidence, etc. had any role in discovering this new path. The entities came before I found CH and learned what it's all about.

Life is more amazing when enriched with spirits. <3

Return to “General Questions”